Idle base table/ stepper issue

Simon Kribstock

Attempting to tune my idle base position table in open loop. I follow the OL procedure, achieve a suitable idle, save and store. But when I turn off and restart the engine, I have to completely change the idle base map values. 

Car is a 1999 Subaru STi with a stepper idle valve. 

I was having the same sort of issues.

Try changing your stepper reset to key off and make sure you are turning the car right off if you load a new map before a start and let the needles do their sweep on the dash. The stepper motor doesn't know where it is in the V5/6 so you have to reset it. Have a look at the help file for how to set the stepper min/max values.

Turn your idle ignition table off to do this idle calibration. Once you have it good turn it back on  - but your idle ignition table is set to take over at below 1200rpm in the 70-80*c range, so you are dropping from 18 deg commanded in the main ignition table to between -2.5 to 2.5deg ignition. If you have 18* commanded in the main table for idle, 18* should be at the 0 column in the idle table and higher and lower values either side of it and it will then dither either side of the centre to keep your idle at the target rpm providing you have it set up nicely with your stepper motor and AFR first. EG  12-15-18-21-23

• 1 year later...

Hi Simon Kribstock, did you end up finding the solution to this?

I've got a WRX6X G4X in my MY00 WRX, and am experiencing the exact same issue as you. I can get the car started, and it warms up fine with closed loop idle on once the Idle Base Position Table is set, but when I turn the car off (Stepper reset it turned to "Key-off"), I have to go through and amend the Idle Base Position Table again.

Any ideas? How did you get yours fixed?

3 hours ago, ChrisHodge86 said:

I've got a WRX6X G4X in my MY00 WRX, and am experiencing the exact same issue as you. I can get the car started, and it warms up fine with closed loop idle on once the Idle Base Position Table is set, but when I turn the car off (Stepper reset it turned to "Key-off"), I have to go through and amend the Idle Base Position Table again.

Chris, since you have a G4X, please do a log and attach that and a copy of your tune in the G4X forum.

9 hours ago, ChrisHodge86 said:

I believe I wasn’t giving the stepper valve enough time to reset, making it start in random positions. I currently have it set up to reset at key on and wait for the tach sweep to finish before cranking. Key off reset was still a bit a bit wonky for me so I just stuck with key on. 

12 hours ago, Simon Kribstock said:

I believe I wasn’t giving the stepper valve enough time to reset, making it start in random positions. I currently have it set up to reset at key on and wait for the tach sweep to finish before cranking. Key off reset was still a bit a bit wonky for me so I just stuck with key on. 

Thanks Simon.