Fury - BMW N45B20 wont start

jubs

Hi, need some help and advice with a non starting project car...  ECU is a Link G4+ Fury.  The project is progressing and I am now at the point of trying to start the car - problem is it wont start and I could do with some help and advice..

Guess I should start with some details of the engine and set up 

BMW N45B20 
4 Cylinder 
Direct coil on plug 
Vanos Inlet and exhaust ( cam sensors on both cams )
Home made ITB - taken from BMW M3 ( with cylinder 5 and 6 removed ) with TP setup 
Crank reluctor wheel has 58 teeth with 2 missing
Returnless fuel system ( 3.5 bar operating pressure )
Injectors from BMW 320si ( N45B20 ) tech spec unknown  ( VDO part number A2C59506218 ) 
Idle value idle control from a BMW M50 
No MAP sensor

Status of install 

All wired in and mostly working
TP sensor - calibrated and working
Temp sensors - Oil, air intake, coolant - all ok 
Crank settings set to BMW M50
Ignition test - ok 
Injection test - ok  
Compression 150 PSI all cylinders
Engine Cam timing ok - using BMW tools - cams set correctly 
Firing order set to 1342

Items that I know are outstanding 

Knock Sensors currently un-pluged
Both Vanos actuation valves unplugged ( and cam timing locked in safety position ) safety measure so I don't bend anything !!
Cam sensors plugged in but not calibrated as not sure what to do 
Idle control valve set up as ISC mode - wired to the correct ECU outputs - open loop sol/stepper 
Lamda sensor disconnected currently 

Status - observations 

Engine cranks but does not start - does not make any real go at starting.  mostly nothing - If a crank for far to long a few pops and bangs back through ITB`s 

Trigger 1 calibrated ok  (244 degrees) offset gives me the timing mark at 0 TDC when using a timing light, I thought I maybe 180 out so also worked out that -115 Degrees also gives me timing mark at 0 BTDC when using a timing light ( so one of them is correct !! ).  When cranking the engine in normal status ( not during calibration ) I can see the timing mark about 10 degrees before TDC - which I guess is about correct ?   but either of them work 

When cranking i get about 200 RPM indicted in the status - also the fuel pump runs as soon as I turn the engine over by hand or cranking - which I guess is a good sign

If I take the fuel rail out of the inlet manifold and crank I can see all injectors firing

I think I have set the ECU up correctly for TP only - No MAP sensor 
Equation Load Source - Load=BAP
Fuel Table Load Axis - TP(Main)

Injection set to Sequential

I think the issue is injection timing - whilst I am sure the 244 degree ign setting is correct when the trigger celibate window is open - I am not sure its correct when the cam reference sensor is in play ??

Any help would be great 

Thanks John

N45B20.jpg

trig scope pic jb.jpg

inlet cam .jpg

So with an idle valve and no MAP sensor it might be not that easy to tune around idle if the duty of the icv changes.

My first question is, what is your IPW during cranking? I had a play with a bmw M20 both in MAP and BAP equation load setting (N/A build with tps for Load axis)

while the MAP referenced mapping lead to a 50% VE value in the main fuel table (modeled equation) I struggeled alot finding what was wrong with the car not to start with BAP.

Take a look at the IPW with the current runtime value (F12) mine was like 60-80ms with BAP ref. then switched back to map reference and found out that the cranking IPW with a warm engine was around 12-14ms (e36 M3 injectors 250cc).

Engine was simply drouwn in fuel.

to start the engine I gad to go down to 4% VE in the main fuel table to et it start. Values are way different with BAP ref. Having a wideband lambda would be very usefull in that process.

try go in moddeled fuel equation and go very low in VE and chack at the same time

Can you attach the tune.  Load source BAP or MAP will work provided you are on a recent firmware, eventually you will need to use MAP since it has an idle valve but thats not going to stop it running.

A log of it cranking would be useful too.

2 hours ago, dx4picco said:

Take a look at the IPW with the current runtime value (F12) mine was like 60-80ms with BAP ref. then switched back to map reference and found out that the cranking IPW with a warm engine was around 12-14ms (e36 M3 injectors 250cc).

Engine was simply drouwn in fuel.

There was a bug in the BAP equation for modelled mode back in firmwares prior to 5.6.3, so I suspect that may be what caused the issue for you.  Generally since BAP and MAP are the same at cranking speed it wouldnt usually make any difference.

40 minutes ago, Adamw said:

There was a bug in the BAP equation for modelled mode back in firmwares prior to 5.6.3, so I suspect that may be what caused the issue for you.  Generally since BAP and MAP are the same at cranking speed it wouldnt usually make any difference.

Alright, that was prior to the firmware update indeed!

Hi -  Thanks for feedback- will work though the comments over the next few days. 

Firmware for the ECU is  5.6.6.3602

attached is a pclr. file - is this the tune ?

also attached is a llg file.  engine cranking for about 15 secs

Any further input would be great !!    Thanks John

G4+ Fuy JB1 test.pclr engine crank.llg

Most of your settings look like a decent staring point.  I think your master fuel will need to be quite a bit bigger - most stock road car sized injectors you will end up with the master fuel up around 20-25ms.

However, that is not you main problem - Im pretty sure those coils dont have ignitors built in so spark may look ok in free air but likely you have very weak spark when in the cylinder under pressure. 

You will either need to change to coils with built in ignitors or wire in a separate ignitor.

hi and thank you for the feedback. 

i’ve now done a bit of research and I think you’re right the coils don’t have igniters

i’ve ordered a Bosch four-way igniter and should be here for the weekend so will give it a try and let you know how I get on

thanks John  

680EA2CE-1424-465E-A100-FC823F84EE43.png

5E3C509C-8B2D-4134-8FB2-E83A759404ED.png

So. Update. 

fitted new ignition model as per instructions found online. Primed oil system. Added a bit to the master fuel trim (22) Hit start and she burst into life ...  thanks for all your help

fyi. Trigger off set was 244.