AEM CAN EGT input to Link G4+ Plug In

koracing

OK, so I'm a CAN noob, but I've been reading these forums and beating my head against trying to make the CAN EGT from AEM read into a Link G4+ Plug in on a 07 subaru STI ecu.  The car has a AEM CD7 Dash thatis also reading the CAN EGT just fine (as one might expect).  The Settings in the dash are as follows: 

image.thumb.png.010d5b6cf2820deb752357febd53d9d7.png

With the extended ID (non-hex) being 47616, start bits o 8, 24, 40, and 56; 16 wide, signed, (not sure what BE/Motorola means), multiplex off, scalar 0.1, offset 0, reciprocal unchecked.

Based on these values I set the Stream in the Link to as follows:

image.png.c51d52d94733492e1817516cf041e192.png

With the channel settings: 

image.png.52aa9ff92bfbb4ec684629dd430d2faa.png

What I get is continuously fluctuation numbers that don't hold stead and will run up to over 10k and then drop to zero and start counting up again.  The Dash is holding stead at about 750-950°F depending on which cylinder in particular we are discussing.  Here are two screen shots of the readings in the Link a few moments apart at idle:

image.png.cfaa0818a93f105f4a72308315535659.png

image.png.a61e6eee6229a36d53ccde0050e43b6f.png

I'm not sure if there is a fundamental issue with how the data is being received or not, or my settings, but I'm at a bit of a loss and could use some help.  Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

Cant see all of the info I need but it looks like your start positions dont match.  Be aware that AEM use terminology "Start bit" while link uses "start position".  The trouble with the "start bit" terminology is there doesnt seem to be a common convention to how they are numbered - some manufacturers the first bit is #1, some use #0, some start from the left end, others start from the right end.  Link instead use "Start position" which refers to the position in the visual frame grid at the bottom.  I know confusing but at least AEM and Link have a visual representation to help.  So, if you look at the visual table thing in AEM software you should see that the EGT 1 is sitting spread over byte 0 & 1.  Whereas if you click on the CAN TC 1 parameter in you Link stream setup you will see you actually have it sitting in sitting in Byte 1 & 2 (i.e one byte to the right).  

So, in the Link set up change your start positions to 0,16,32,48, I suspect that is all you will need.  If that doesnt work then attach the actual configs so I can take a better look.

31 minutes ago, koracing said:

not sure what BE/Motorola means

Big endian, Motorola, MSB, MS first or normal are different ways to refer to the byte order with the most significant byte at the left hand end.

Conversely, Little endian, Intel, LS first, LSB or word swap refer to the opposite byte order.  

[EDIT] I swear I tried moving those to the 0, 16, 32, and 48 start bits already, but that seems to have done the trick.  It must have been at a point when I wasn't getting any data at all coming in due to some other setting misstep.  I'm going to leave this information here for anyone else that may run into the same problem down the road.  Here's the Stream setup that worked:image.thumb.png.92c7970783d22cc6d3cbefce54e6aab4.png

I also did notice I had the signed/unsigned set to unsigned when the aem dash was set to signed.  That seems to have no impact on the readings?  What is the purpose significance of this?
[/EDIT]

image.png

Going by the arrows here - it looks like in the dash setup, it starts at bit 8 - goes to 15, then goes up a line to bit 7 then down to 0 - that seems strange.

I'm attaching the dash config and pclr. 

Thanks!

EGT forester.linkg4.KO.test4.aemcd7 KO Yap Fozzster 001 10-09-20.pclr

• 2 years later...