Link G4+ PlugIn MR2 V2-3 & Celica(ST205) usb power surge error

toddhar2003

Hello,

I'm currently trying to get my ECU setup and am trying to connect for the first time.

I have installed the link software on my pc and ran the driver install a few times now but I keep getting an error message stating:

"A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device"

I tried connecting to 3 different laptops but i'm still getting the error message has anyone run into this? any suggestions on what to try?

Can you pull the ecu out of the case and check that the USB pigtail is plugged into the correct white USB socket on the top board, I have seen some users remove those during installation and plug them back into one of the CAN ports by mistake.    

I don't think anything is there i can't really see whats the other side very easy without trying to take the boards apart. But it kind of looks like just a weird glare from the flash?

The cable is what was in the box already plugged into the USB port on the ecu I only removed it to slide it through the ecu cover when I installed the ecu and its been on there ever since. I'm kind of thinking I need to see if I can pull the wires and put them back in the right order though so far all the pictures I can find of the plug show the wires in the same order just the plug is 180 degrees out

20201129_022726.jpg

Ok, yeah that looks ok, must have been some glare.  

Man I hope there arent more of those cables out there...  I will let the team know tomorrow.  I apologise that it got to you like that.  Hopefully nothing is damaged, but if it is we will look after it.  

I suspect it will be ok if you just swap those wires, correct order shown below.  The terminals pop out pretty easy, you just push the little barb in with a pin through the window on the side of the connector.

image.png.3785bea24c40c60f6e41a6ab0fc66b00.png

Ah yep it was definitely backwards looking at that picture. I pulled the pins and put them in the right order. It was a little challenging haha I didn't have anything quite small enough to do it easily and I didn't want to break it. But I got it all sorted and tried to connect to the ecu again. With the wires in the right spot I'm no longer getting the error on my laptop for too much power through the port but now it doesn't seem the computer even knows anything is being plugged in. I tried reinstalling the drivers and everything all over and I also removed my USB drivers and reinstalled them as well then made sure they were updated and still nothing unfortunately.

RS232 is in the same socket as CAN 1.  

With RS232 you make the connections "cross over" - so the RX on the ECU plug connects to the Tx pin on the laptop and vice versa.  You can use either a laptop with a genuine serial port if you have one or a USB>serial adapter.  

7ff7d5s.png

oh wow that's pretty cool i'm getting ready to send the ecu in to have it tested but that's really cool i may have to try that real quick to see if i can get it to work haha that's really good info either way though i have to save this for future reference. does this work for any of the ecus with those can connection types? (the rs connectors)

Most of the plug-in ecus and the wire in g4+ appear to have the RS232 Serial TX/RX on them, so they should work.  I've connected via serial to a few different model plug ins and a G4+ Xtreme and Storm wire-in.  You would need to wire up a serial connection or get the serial CAN-SER cable though.  I've never needed to repin anything with these cables to have it connect to either a direct serial port or a USB to serial adapter.  If you wire individual pins you would need at a minimum the TX, RX, and GND for serial communication.  On the DB9 pin connector the pins would be  RX pin2,TX pin3, and GND pin5.