BMW S50 trigger support in G4X

link_user

Try the BMW single Vanos mode, run the engine above the VVT RPM and ECT lockout and set cam angle test to "calibrate", it should take a couple of seconds, then it will turn the calibrate off by itself.  After that confirm the inlet bank 1 position is showing correctly and no errors (VVT tab of runtimes screen).  If its not happy, report back.

I have connected and tested the Vanos VVT outputs so the vanos solenoids work (click) when in test mode. I entered all possible data about the VVT,
In G4+ an AUX output is defined as VVT advance or retard solenoid. How do I define VVT advance or retard solenoids in G4X? I entered the data for AUX3 and AUX4 which are connected to the Vanos solenoids. How the G4X knows which AUX is meant for VVT advance and which for VVT retard? I can not find the option to assign an AUX to work as an VVT output so the G4X knows which AUX to use as VVT.  I need some help to solve this.

Here is the latest calibration file, and triggerscope. All signals should be fine now.

triggerscope3.png

bmw10TriggerScopeLog.llgx m3_e36new.pclx

In G4X the settings are in the VVT control tab for VVT Setup and then under Inlet Bank 1 to assign outputs for the pressure and bleed solenoid. I just guessed at settings and aux assignements - I think pressure would be advance and bleed would be retard? Also the 50Hz I guessed at based on the help menu engine specific information for S52 dual vanos.  Your trying to use GP PWM outputs to try and accomplish this won't work.

image.thumb.png.6755e6f36857f57422ac8419f9707975.png

Then you would log VVT Inlet Target 1, and Cam Angle #1 I believe to see how closesly they follow one another while calibrating.  Calibrating is as simple as either holding rpm above 1200 while calibrating and selecting "Calibrate" from the cam angle test options, or I usually just tell the idle control to put the rpm at 1400 while doing this operation.  

2 hours ago, koracing said:

Then you would log VVT Inlet Target 1, and Cam Angle #1 I believe to see how closesly they follow one another while calibrating

The calibrate feature forces the cam to its resting spot so the ECu knows what the 0deg advanced/retard cam angle is, you might be confusing the calibrate function with the tuning of the PID control loop which does the moving of the cam.

Yeah I guess I did think it was automagically adjusting the PID settings.  In the VVT tunes I've done so far the PID is set to default and so far has worked fine - but I can see possibly needing to adjust the PID settings in the case where the target and measured angles aren't tracking well.  

Are there some exact instructions fot BMW Vanos, what is pressure solenoid and what is bleed solenoid, advance or retard? So the calibrate function does not go crazy?

What do I enter under tooth count? from ther triggercope it seems there are 8 tooth on the DI2 input signal.

Fromt he help menu:

Tooth Count

This setting sets the number of teeth on the cam trigger that the ecu will look for, this value is filled out automatically when the Cam Angle Test Calibrate function is run.

If memory serves me the Vanos defaults to the maximum retard position when no duty is applied to the solenoid, therefore I would think the pressure output would be to advance the cam, and the bleed would be to retard the cam.   I don't know that for certain, but it seems to make sense to me.