Driving temp gauge using stock sensor

Josiky

Hello, 

I'm using a depo racing water temp gauge but readings won't match the ecu temp sensor. They are placed in the same location. 

Is there any way I could use the stock sensor to move the gauge? 

Or using the dedicated sensor to the ecu then to the gauge? 

It's a classic ohm resistance sensor. 

I'm having around 10° difference in readings. 

Tried guessing a suitable resistor in parallel (5k around) , but it will just give accurate readings for a desired temp. 

I have the calibration table from Depo. 

Thank you guys.

Ps. I'm attaching the calibration image. 

IMG_20210304_014053.jpg

Im not sure if this trick will work with all temp gauges, but for some you can connect them directly to an aux output and drive them with a GP PWM.  So you then have complete control over how the gauge reads.

On the couple of done this way they were happy at 100Hz.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, Adamw said:

Im not sure if this trick will work with all temp gauges, but for some you can connect them directly to an aux output and drive them with a GP PWM.  So you then have complete control over how the gauge reads.

On the couple of done this way they were happy at 100Hz.

I want to try this, to drive a temp gauge using an aux out. I think there is supposed to be a table of some kind for the GP PWM to do duty cycle stuff. That's where I get lost. I've worked out how to edit a table, but I've got no idea what the axis should be or what kind of numbers should go in the fields.

Could you post a picture of an example table where ECT is used to control duty cycle for a temp gauge?

constant frequency, ECT on oen axis of the Duty Cycle table, nothing on the other axis of the Duty Cycle table.

I figured out what values to use in the duty cycle table through trial and error, try a value and see where the sits, make a note of it and repeat. Something like 70 to 85 for the middle of the gauge would be about right if it is just a factory one without units.

Extra for experts would be adding batt voltage to the other axis as I have noticed some variation in position based on battery voltage (affects the aux pullup voltage)

The attached image is a very half assed attempt in my MR2

Capture.PNG

The car I done worked out similar to Vaughan's example but I dont have a copy of the final map saved.  I did it similar to his - it was a stock cluster gauge with no numbers so I just set it up so 90 deg gave me somewhere around the middle of the gauge and 100°C was 3/4 scale and at 105 the gauge was pegged.