2005 Nissan 350Z - NISSAN 350Z N350+

Agret

I have a 2005 Nissan 350z Enthusiast Coupe, the factory ECU in it failed and I took it to a mechanic who replaced it with a 2003 one. Since the 2005 model has factory wideband sensors and the 2003 has narrowband the car runs horrible and power is very unstable and dangerous to drive. I've had it off the road for 1.5yr now due to covid closing workshops nearby but now that things have lifted I just ordered a Nissan 350Z N350+ G4X since it says plug & play compatible.

When it arrives what are my next steps? At the bottom of the product brief where I bought it says that it's not compatible with wideband sensors and I need to get an aftermarket solution? Is there a firmware fix for this or is this info still current that it won't work with my car?

Do I need to order something like this too:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine-management/haltech/haltech-dual-channel-can-wideband-o2-controller-kit-p-14560.html 

I see that Haltech have a firmware update that makes it compatible with the Link ECUs as per this post on their website:

https://www.haltech.com/haltech-wideband-controllers-now-compatible-with-link-ecus/

Are there other sensors that are incompatible with this replacement ECU that also need replacing? The brief also mentions something about a MAP sensor being a requirement?

Does the car need to be tuned on a dyno at a workshop or will an experienced tuner be able to dial it in from a home garage?

Very annoyed that the original guy I took it to fitted the wrong ECU and I haven't been able to find any wreckers with a 2005 DE engine wideband ECU, only found revup ecus and 2003-2005 ECU made for non-wideband cars. Link should be the solution I hope albeit the more expensive route judging by all these addons I also need to purchase to get the car going again. What about throttle body relearn process with the Link ECU? Is there a full manual for this product somewhere?

2 hours ago, Agret said:

When it arrives what are my next steps? At the bottom of the product brief where I bought it says that it's not compatible with wideband sensors and I need to get an aftermarket solution? Is there a firmware fix for this or is this info still current that it won't work with my car?

There is no wideband controllers onboard, this ecu was developed before 350Z had wideband sensors.  You dont necessarily need to fit wideband sensors however, the tuner will generally have his own system for tuning.  

But yes you are correct you could use the Haltech one, or any other after market option for that matter.  You also dont necessarily need two - some users with Vee engines just fit a single sensor.  

2 hours ago, Agret said:

Are there other sensors that are incompatible with this replacement ECU that also need replacing? The brief also mentions something about a MAP sensor being a requirement?

The Link ecu has a MAP sensor onboard, so you just need to run a vacuum hose to the manifold.  You should consider fitting an air temp sensor as I dont think they have one standard.  

2 hours ago, Agret said:

Does the car need to be tuned on a dyno at a workshop or will an experienced tuner be able to dial it in from a home garage?

Yes I would suggest getting a professional tuner to get it tuned.  You can DIY if you have the interest to learn and are willing to dedicate a lot of time to it.  You will certainly be jumping in the deep end as with quad VVT and E-throttle etc it is probably the most complicated tuning job you could get.  You would probably want to do some of the online training such as HP Academy or Evans performance Academy and be prepared to spend a hundred hours or so on your first tune.  

Intake air temp sender is in the stock air flow meter, this is what we use when we tune with the Link 350Z ECU

10 hours ago, Agret said:

I

Very annoyed that the original guy I took it to fitted the wrong ECU and I haven't been able to find any wreckers with a 2005 DE engine wideband ECU, only found revup ecus and 2003-2005 ECU made for non-wideband cars. Link should be the solution I hope albeit the more expensive route judging by all these addons I also need to purchase to get the car going again. What about throttle body relearn process with the Link ECU? Is there a full manual for this product somewhere?

You can use an REV UP ECU with the DE maps copied across , some we do a lot , due to people swopping out the troublesome REV UP for a DE Engine, we use UPREV software to do this , I presume they have turned off the NATS to use another ECU to get the car running

NATS still active, had to get the car towed to Nissan who recoded the security module to match the car.

If we can use a Rev UP ECU on a DE car what's involved with that?