1.5jzgte non vvti crank no start link g4x storm

jrdnclrk

Hey guys I'm having some issues with getting my car to start. I'm very new to the link ecu and have lots to learn. I've searched the forums for answers but its time to make a post with a cranking log.

some more info on the set up

ive got 1zz coils, 1000cc injectors, running the stock tps, map, crank angle, cam angle, and iat sensors. fuel pressure is at 60psi not cranking. 

I'm looking to see if anyone else can spot what I've gone wrong as far as set up. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

PC Datalog - 2021-04-1 9;50;28 pm.llgx

1.5jzgte 333121.pclx

Just now, jrdnclrk said:

Hey guys I'm having some issues with getting my car to start. I'm very new to the link ecu and have lots to learn. I've searched the forums for answers but its time to make a post with a cranking log.

ive got 1zz coils, 1000cc injectors, running the stock tps, map, crank angle, cam angle, and iat sensors. fuel pressure is at 60psi not cranking. 

I'm looking to see if anyone else can spot what I've gone wrong as far as set up. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

PC Datalog - 2021-04-1 9;50;28 pm.llgx 616.98 kB · 0 downloads

need to drop the map as well 

12 minutes ago, jrdnclrk said:

PC Datalog - 2021-04-1 9;50;28 pm.llgx 616.98 kB · 4 downloads

1.5jzgte 333121.pclx 409.08 kB · 2 downloads

what crank and cam setup are you using? 

14 minutes ago, Electredge said:

need to drop the map as well 

what crank and cam setup are you using? 

I'm running 1jz stock cams and a 2jzge bottom end using the 1jzgte timing gear on the crank

It looks like all the basics are present and working in your log.   Have you confirmed base timing looks ok with a timing light?  If not then that would be the first thing to confirm. 

If you have already confirmed base timing and it looks close enough then the next thing I would try is add 360 to your trigger offset (so for example if it is -6 now then try 354).  The offset is 360 different depending on if you are using the front or back cam sensor.  

3 minutes ago, Adamw said:

It looks like all the basics are present and working in your log.   Have you confirmed base timing looks ok with a timing light?  If not then that would be the first thing to confirm. 

If you have already confirmed base timing and it looks close enough then the next thing I would try is add 360 to your trigger offset (so for example if it is -6 now then try 354).  The offset is 360 different depending on if you are using the front or back cam sensor.  

I'll have to give it a try in the morning and see what happens on 360*. 

also I'm using the rear cam sensor for trigger 2

so after some testing and lots of cranking the engine over while trying to set base timing. The timing light wont light up while cranking. i tried doing and ignition coil test and that lights the timing light. i performed trigger scopes to confirm that i was getting 24:1 on trigger 1 to trigger 2 so its seems something isnt allowing the ecu to fire the coil based off the triggers.

You've got pretty low voltage on the cam sensor and a few trigger errors showing.  Try adjusting the trigger arming thresholds as per the examples below.

And I would suggest pulling a plug out to check for spark rather than relying on just the timing light flash, that is not always conclusive.

ZyKmbBk.png

3 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Everything looks ok in the log.   Did you try shifting the trigger offset as I suggested earlier?

Yeah we’ve tried various spots within the -360 to 360 degree range. Can’t even get a back fire out of it. 

Try some starter fluid then, that is a quick way to eliminate it being a fuel issue then if still no signs of life with alternaitve fuel you can concentrate on spark instead. 

Do you have a good sparlk when you use the ignition test function? 

Yeah we have spark while doing an ignition coil test on each ignition coil. This will also fire the test light. Fuel doesn’t seem to be an issue here. Because while cranking the smell of Unburnt fuel gets stronger as we crank. All the injectors are passing their respective test as well. I’m hoping some with a similar set up and base map would be able to help out by sending it over for me to try. 

26 minutes ago, jrdnclrk said:

Fuel doesn’t seem to be an issue here.

Do you know how often I've heard that only to be later proven right becuse the fuel is stale or 5 injectors are stuck closed or something...  It is a simple test to tick a whole list of possibilities off the list so it is always worth doing no matter  if you believe everything is ok. 

28 minutes ago, jrdnclrk said:

I’m hoping some with a similar set up and base map would be able to help out by sending it over for me to try. 

Another map isnt going to help you.  Our supra map that yours is based on is from a running engine, the only real significant difference I can think of that would prevent it from running a similar engine from the same family is the choice of the two cam sensors being 360 different as I mentioned earlier.  You previously said there is no spark or the spark is very weak, the ecu cant cause a weak spark, so if you do have a weak spark when cranking then you need to look at the coil wiring. 

I think I’ve figured out the issue. I got to doing more research on the 1zz coils and the pin outs of the connectors. I believe my issue is that I have the power and ground backwards on the coils connectors. I will swap them tomorrow and see what results I have. 

FE77B4E7-31CB-49A8-91F5-030525A70A96.png

23 hours ago, Adamw said:

Do you know how often I've heard that only to be later proven right becuse the fuel is stale or 5 injectors are stuck closed or something...  It is a simple test to tick a whole list of possibilities off the list so it is always worth doing no matter  if you believe everything is ok. 

Another map isnt going to help you.  Our supra map that yours is based on is from a running engine, the only real significant difference I can think of that would prevent it from running a similar engine from the same family is the choice of the two cam sensors being 360 different as I mentioned earlier.  You previously said there is no spark or the spark is very weak, the ecu cant cause a weak spark, so if you do have a weak spark when cranking then you need to look at the coil wiring. 

Master fuel was set too high for the injectors. Car starts and runs now. 
changes from 8ms to 4ms and it fired right up. 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, jrdnclrk said:

Master fuel was set too high for the injectors. Car starts and runs now. 
changes from 8ms to 4ms and it fired right up.

Update!

I also had my fuel pressure set too high.  My first regulator would do a minimum 58psi. Which I initially thought was a little too high. I swapped to a regulator that would do a Minimum of 30 psi and bumped pressure to 45psi. Fires up very easily now. I’m assuming I was either flooding the engine. Or the injectors had too much fuel pressure behind them to open. Turns out fueling was an issue just not lack of fuel but just too much.