Supra link triggers all over the place

Nathanj1142

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

The offset really needs a timing light to set correctly.  If you think it is somewher close but firing on the wrong stroke then just add or subtract 360 from the existing offset.  

It looks like the cam sensor might be wried back to front in that latest scope, did you change it from the earlier one?

Yes I did as I thought it was reading the wrong sensor. I’ll switch it back over to the other one. Cheers

got it close to firing at 50 degrees. The problem is when I turn the ignition on after cranking it’s just backfiring out the intake.

We did see the spark plugs do fire when the ignition is turned on, is this normal? Is there a setting to turn this off or is it a wiring issue?

1 hour ago, Nathanj1142 said:

We did see the spark plugs do fire when the ignition is turned on, is this normal? Is there a setting to turn this off or is it a wiring issue?

Some of the early G4X ecus had a hardware problem that could cause this, what is your ecu serial number?  Are you still using the stock 1J ignitor and coils?

4 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Some of the early G4X ecus had a hardware problem that could cause this, what is your ecu serial number?  Are you still using the stock 1J ignitor and coils?

im using a r35 coil on plug conversion kit. Switch live, earth then a signal wire to the corresponding pin. The engine is a 2jz ge non vvti which used to be on a dizzy

Make sure you have your distributor aligned correctly when you installed it. Check it out in toyota repair manual under ignition systems. If you haven't installed distributor correctly with engine at TDC, then your cam signals will be staggered compared to where they "should" be and the ofset settings from base map won't be accurate. 

Or you can just keep adjusting your timing offset until you find where it wants to be. Just go up in small increments until you find where engine sounds a bit happier. 

1 hour ago, 0x33 said:

Make sure you have your distributor aligned correctly when you installed it. Check it out in toyota repair manual under ignition systems. If you haven't installed distributor correctly with engine at TDC, then your cam signals will be staggered compared to where they "should" be and the ofset settings from base map won't be accurate. 

Or you can just keep adjusting your timing offset until you find where it wants to be. Just go up in small increments until you find where engine sounds a bit happier. 

That’s what I have been doing mate :) just want to get this weird sparking on ignition sorted first.

im running a 7m-gte cam pos sensor in place of the distributor as I’ve gone coil on plug. 

This ecu is the latest hardware revision and has the new ignition circuit which shouldnt be able to cause a spark at power up.  Given your other wiring issues, I suspect you may have an odd ground offset or something between ecu and engine/chassis causing the coils to spark on power up.  A quick fix might be to change the trigger wire on your coil relay so that it is switched on with the fuel pump.  

Just now, Adamw said:

This ecu is the latest hardware revision and has the new ignition circuit which shouldnt be able to cause a spark at power up.  Given your other wiring issues, I suspect you may have an odd ground offset or something between ecu and engine/chassis causing the coils to spark on power up.  A quick fix might be to change the trigger wire on your coil relay so that it is switched on with the fuel pump.  

Could it be the coil on plug ground? The only other wiring issue I have is that shielded crank sensor wire? Or are you referring to the interference on the cam signal?

I have never tested a R35 coil, but many modern coils switch at "TTL" level.  This means they only need to see a signal of about 2V on the trigger pin to start charging, and they will spark when that trigger pin voltage drops below 0.7V.  So you only need a relativly minor ground problem before you can end up with a offset between the ground that the ECU uses and the ground that the coils use and run in to behaviour like this. 

27 minutes ago, Nathanj1142 said:

The only other wiring issue I have is that shielded crank sensor wire?

I just meant wiring issues in general.  The crank and cam sensor are very simple devices, only 2 wires each yet they were both wired wrong from the start.  In contrast, coils are relatively complex high energy devices with 18 wires between them, so I think the chances of a wiring issue in this dept would be something I wouldnt rule out.

22 minutes ago, Adamw said:

I have never tested a R35 coil, but many modern coils switch at "TTL" level.  This means they only need to see a signal of about 2V on the trigger pin to start charging, and they will spark when that trigger pin voltage drops below 0.7V.  So you only need a relativly minor ground problem before you can end up with a offset between the ground that the ECU uses and the ground that the coils uses and run in to behaviour like this. 

I just meant wiring issues in general.  The crank and cam sensor are very simple devices, only 2 wires each yet they were both wired wrong from the start.  In contrast, coils are relatively complex high energy devices with 18 wires between them, so I think the chances of a wiring issue in this dept would be something I wouldnt rule out.

I understand what you’re saying, however the wiring diagrams I used were clearly wrong. The cam sensor is 4 wires which I repinned the distributor connector to work with, and then had to move around the pins at the ecu end, with little to no guidance just pure trial and error. The only help I’ve had is from this forum which I am very thankful for.

the cop conversion, on the other hand, came with a guide and a prepinned loom that I have followed which is why I was arguing your wiring point. I shall take a look tonight but I have a few ideas what it may be. I appreciate the time. I have attached the document which I used - it may help you identify a potential issue. I believe that the ground I have used on the intake manifold may be my issue, I’ll try switching it to chassis or block

DB7052F4-D99F-4535-809B-35522D009177.jpeg.9ef5f5941ec299d0c1d6b88c89ec1d89.jpeg

The blue/orange wire is the old +b connection on the ignitor which also runs to the noise filter. (I cannot upload image as I only have 5 Kb left on this thread) I may try wiring to the fuel pump relay as you advised if I cannot solve this issue 

No, case does not need to be grounded.

The main ECU power grounds are B4, B69,B79 & B80.  Not all of these may be connected in all cars, But at least a couple of them should be and they should have very low resitance to the engine block.

57 minutes ago, Adamw said:

No, case does not need to be grounded.

The main ECU power grounds are B4, B69,B79 & B80.  Not all of these may be connected in all cars, But at least a couple of them should be and they should have very low resitance to the engine block.

B4 wasnt connected although doesn’t look like anything was in there before.  Tried running a wire from that to chassis ground before you replied.

checked resistance of all the other earths to chassis inside the car and was very low but I’ll try the block tomorrow. 

ive got a friend doing a very similar swap, same triggers same ecu just r8 coils. He said he had one back fire when he was trying to start the car in the same conditions as mine (turn the key before cranking). Coincidence? His car now runs so he wouldn’t notice if it was sparking on key switch as there is no excess fuel in the cylinders to cause the back fire

1 hour ago, Nathanj1142 said:

ive got a friend doing a very similar swap, same triggers same ecu just r8 coils. He said he had one back fire when he was trying to start the car in the same conditions as mine (turn the key before cranking). Coincidence?

Is his V3.1 hardware?  You can see in the ECU information screen.