3sgte swapped celica wont start

Adamk

I installed the base map for the st185 as I have a 2nd gen 3sgte, engine turns over but wont start. I have tested for spark, its good and the fuel injectors also check out. I have a fault for the fuel pump and no idea why. Also when I crank the engine the rpm's don't go above 0 on both my tach and PC Link

Toyota Celica ST185 G4X Xtreme Plugin not tuned.pclx

30 minutes ago, Adamw said:

RPM should show around 150-250 when cranking so it sounds like it is not happy with something related to the triggers.  Can you do us a triggerscope while cranking and attach here.

How to do a trigger scope:  https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiYbYlZQuRHPmidU5V2CmTcv6t2y?e=X7Q8m0

This was all I got, seems odd

TriggerScopeLog 1.llgx TriggerScopeLog.llgx

1 minute ago, Adamw said:

You have no signal at all in those scopes.  Was the engine actually cranking when you clicked capture?

Yeah, I made sure to hit it when I was cranking. Could the no signal be related to the no rpm read-out?

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

You have no signal at all in those scopes.  Was the engine actually cranking when you clicked capture?

Also, I noticed my map sensor is reading 0.2kpa and 0.0 for the bap. 

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

You seem to have a wiring issue.  Still no trigger signal at all.  The MAP sensor pin also shows 0.0V.  

Possibly a ground missing?

89661-2b280 was my ecu code I attached the pinout for it, is it just me is the tvis pin located where the trigger 2 pin should be? 

033D5F76-C38E-4623-B037-DD2333E04A79.jpeg

That pinout you show matches the ST205 pinout, not the normal ST185 ecu.  It is only normally only found on the carlos sainz version of the ST185.

So you will either need to swap the ecu to a TST205X ecu, or shuffle some wires around to match the normal ST185 pinout.

11 minutes ago, Adamw said:

That pinout you show matches the ST205 pinout, not the normal ST185 ecu.  It is only normally only found on the carlos sainz version of the ST185.

So you will either need to swap the ecu to a TST205X ecu, or shuffle some wires around to match the normal ST185 pinout.

Well that’s news to me, I thought it was just a 92 alltrac ecu. I sent the ecu part number to the dealer too. Could you help me out with repining the harness, the main reason I went with the pnp was that I thought I would be able to just plug it in. Btw thanks for the quick responses! 

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

I I looked over the pinouts for a st205 and the St185 model I have and seen that they are very similar. Ill try o repin the harness if I can but in the meantime here's the triggersope results for it cranking on the st205 base map.

TriggerScopeLog ST205 base.llgx

Screenshot (54).png

I'll will try to put together some instructions on what you will need to move in the next couple of days when I have some free time.  

Just using the ST205 map is not going to help much as the trigger wires and grounds arent connected to the correct pins.

53 minutes ago, Adamw said:

I'll will try to put together some instructions on what you will need to move in the next couple of days when I have some free time.  

Just using the ST205 map is not going to help much as the trigger wires and grounds arent connected to the correct pins.

Just a quick question, would this be the correct pinout for using the link st185 ecu? If so I could try to repin it on my own

010C8D0D-1EF9-4E24-A9CE-8761AD427267.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Adamk said:

Just a quick question, would this be the correct pinout for using the link st185 ecu? If so I could try to repin it on my own

The full pinout for the ST185 Plugin ECU is available in the quickstart guide on the website and in the help manual in the PCLink software

Capture.PNG

I just knocked this up.  Hopefully easy enough to understand, Red cells are the wires that need to be moved, about 14 or so wires to move.  Green ones can all stay where they are.

A couple of changes will need to be made in the map, I didnt note them down, but for example fuel pump relay will now be controlled by Inj 5 instead of Aux 7.

ST205 loom toST185 ecu V1.1.xlsx

If it were my car I would try returning the ST185 ecu to your dealer in exchange for the ST205 version ecu rather than rewire the car to the earlier - less expansion capable ecu. 

<soapbox size=4> Once again Link's nomenclature for the ecus doesn't actually help the person with a late gen2 to even buy the proper ecu.  The 92-93 Alltrac ecus are what link calls V2 and 3sgte people call late gen2 and therefore would need the ST205X to run even though the original motor is from an ST185.  Also don't try to run link's st185 base map for an st185 with a v2 ecu aka late gen2 engine.  Seems like this could be made quite a bit more straight forward if the assumption that all St185s were the same was discarded.  3SGTE V1, or 3SGTE V2-V3 makes more sense than calling the ecus by a chassis code that has overlap between both version ecus.  I mean, why not call them SW20X - oh wait - that chasssis code got all 3 versions/generations.  </soapbox>

<wish>If the plug-in boards are getting revised at some point, I would strongly suggest making all versions 1-2-3 capable of using the same plug-in bottom board with a set of switches or jumpers to change the necessary wires depending on version.  Also add onboard map sensor please.</wish>

29 minutes ago, koracing said:

why not call them SW20X - oh wait

Haha got me there. Well my dealer doesn’t really want to take the ecu back which I somewhat understand but the funny thing is that he mistakenly ordered the st205x one at first

18 hours ago, Adamw said:

I just knocked this up.  Hopefully easy enough to understand, Red cells are the wires that need to be moved, about 14 or so wires to move.  Green ones can all stay where they are.

A couple of changes will need to be made in the map, I didnt note them down, but for example fuel pump relay will now be controlled by Inj 5 instead of Aux 7.

ST205 loom to ST185 ecu.xlsx 10.21 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks, just took a look at it. Ill try to see if the pins want to come out of the harness connecter and do it otherwise I guess I’ll need to swap the ecu? Does link have a policy for returns or if you can even do them? I’ll let you know if it works.

38 minutes ago, koracing said:

exchange for the ST205 version

Just wondering, why wasn't I be able to run the st205 base map? I thought that the ecu would reassign the pins accordingly?

2 hours ago, Adamk said:

Does link have a policy for returns or if you can even do them? I’ll let you know if it works.

My understanding is they are generally happy to if the ecu is still unlocked and sealed in the antistatic bag but that sounds like it is not the case here.  In this case it is a decision that would be made by our sales team, probably depending on the conditions that resulted in the incorrect ecu being sold amongst other considerations.  Your dealer really needs to contact his regional sales office to discuss.

2 hours ago, Adamk said:

Just wondering, why wasn't I be able to run the st205 base map? I thought that the ecu would reassign the pins accordingly?

You can only swap functions amongst pins with a a similar functionality.  For instance if a MAP sensor is connected to AN Volt 1 instead of AN Volt 4 you can just change that in the software.  But if a ground wire is connected to a pin that is meant to have the trigger signal on it then that cant be changed via software.   

30 minutes ago, Adamw said:

You can only swap functions amongst pins with a a similar functionality.  For instance if a MAP sensor is connected to AN Volt 1 instead of AN Volt 4 you can just change that in the software.  But if a ground wire is connected to a pin that is meant to have the trigger signal on it then that cant be changed via software.   

Ahh I see, I have a few questions though. Im repinning my harness right now and I see conflicting information. For example it says to move 2 different pins (4 and 70) to pin 18. Is it a typo? It would make sense for both of them to be there but can’t there only be 1 output?

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

I just updated the excel file above to correct that mistake and a couple of others I noticed.

I repinned the harness and this was what I got, it started for a second and then would die. Trigg 1 looks off. Also are you sure about moving pin 39 to pin 23 and not 22 instead? (Also, do you know which pins on a st205 harness are for the map and bap sensors?)

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png

Screenshot (57).png

Also with the car off should the bap voltage be 3.66?

1 hour ago, Adamk said:

Trigg 1 looks off.

Trigger looks ok.

1 hour ago, Adamk said:

Also are you sure about moving pin 39 to pin 23 and not 22 instead?

My instruction is correct as far as I can see.  We want to move the sensor ground wire from position 23 and connect it to sensor ground pin which is pin 39.  We then want to move the fp speed wire from position 39 to aux 7 which is pin 23.

1 hour ago, Adamk said:

Also, do you know which pins on a st205 harness are for the map and bap sensors

BAP should be set to "Internal".  MAP is most likely on pin 42/AN Volt 3.  If that doesnt work it could be pin 37/AN Volt 4. 

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

Trigger looks ok.

My instruction is correct as far as I can see.  We want to move the sensor ground wire from position 23 and connect it to sensor ground pin which is pin 39.  We then want to move the fp speed wire from position 39 to aux 7 which is pin 23.

BAP should be set to "Internal".  MAP is most likely on pin 42/AN Volt 3.  If that doesn't work it could be pin 37/AN Volt 4. 

Ok, I feel like we're getting somewhere lol. Just for reference this was my harnesses pinout and its slightly different from the st205 pinout (ex:fc) I made some modifications to the pinout you sent me, I haven't got a chance to run it yet but could you look over it when you're free?

PINOUT FOLLOWED BY ECU MAP --->                                               

pinnout.xlsx

repinned 2.0.pclx                                                                 My harnesses original pinout below 033D5F76-C38E-4623-B037-DD2333E04A79.jpeg