CANchecked dash

yorl

I just finished installing my dash and ECU. Car starts and runs (crank sensor is playing games, but I'll sort it), I modified the ECU to have a working CAN for the dash, but I'm having problems with the dash. It's a CANchecked unit, and it takes Link protocol (as per the image)

I have tried changing the data on my ECU, but I always get the message "you have an older serial number and you can messages may be corrupted" (something along these lines), and doesn't seem to record any changes I make.

Is there any way to get it sorted?

Thanks!

Canchecked.jpg

The message about serial number will always pop-up because the hardware mod doesnt change your serial number.  You can ignore the message, it will pop-up everytime you open the CAN set-up screen but it wont prevent anything for working.

Im not sure what you mean by "doesnt seem to record any changes I make".  The change will happen live as soon as you hit the apply button at the bottom.  You then only need to make sure you do a store before shutting off power.

18 hours ago, Adamw said:

Im not sure what you mean by "doesnt seem to record any changes I make".  The change will happen live as soon as you hit the apply button at the bottom.  You then only need to make sure you do a store before shutting off power.

I tried changing CAN ID 1000 to 2000 (as per the config file for the dash), saved the config, store to ECU, and when I went in the CAN menu again, ID was still 1000. Is that config valid for the V44 too?

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

Can you attach your tune.  The screenshot you attached is for a G4+.  The V44 doesnt even have the Generic dash 2 template does it?

This is the file I have now. The car is not tuned yet, but it runs :D  The dash asks for "generic dash 2" but the V44 only has generic dash 1. Any way I can create a generic dash 2 config on the V44? 

5 hours ago, paulr33 said:

I had this issue as well , it’s the GUI. Change the value then hit enter on the keyboard to save it. Then close the window and do a store 

Thanks, will give it a try!

Clio F4R.pcl

Unfortunately the V series ECU is not really capable of generating the Generic Dash 2 stream, this was something that was only introduced later in G4+.  The V series can only send data in a fixed format of 16bit values and has no options to rescale the data that is transmitted.  The Generic Dash 2 stream has a mix of 8 bit and 16bit data sent as well as some odd scaling applied to some of the channels.

You can try the attached file, I've tried to reproduce the channels that do fit into the V series format so some of the basics should work.  RPM, MGP, ECT, Lambda, Gear and a couple of others that probably arent very useful.  Cant do IAT, oil temp, oil or fuel press.  I think we could make fuel press work but it will read 1/10 of actual.

ClioF4R CAN test.pcl

On 5/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, Adamw said:

Unfortunately the V series ECU is not really capable of generating the Generic Dash 2 stream, this was something that was only introduced later in G4+.  The V series can only send data in a fixed format of 16bit values and has no options to rescale the data that is transmitted.  The Generic Dash 2 stream has a mix of 8 bit and 16bit data sent as well as some odd scaling applied to some of the channels.

You can try the attached file, I've tried to reproduce the channels that do fit into the V series format so some of the basics should work.  RPM, MGP, ECT, Lambda, Gear and a couple of others that probably arent very useful.  Cant do IAT, oil temp, oil or fuel press.  I think we could make fuel press work but it will read 1/10 of actual.

ClioF4R CAN test.pcl 36.71 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Adam,

I gave it a try and I receive nothing on the dash. I'm attaching the CAN info for the dash, in case it's useful.

How can I test if the ECU is sending a CAN stream correctly?

Cheers

Link tri.txt

Oil pressure and oil temp will be wired to the dash, so that's no problem. If I can get speed, RPM, ECT and calculated gear, I think that would be enough for now. 

Sorry for some reason I thought you had the CANchecked gauge which wasnt configurable.  Your dash has custom CAN capability so we should be able to make them work.

Attached is your map with some basic CAN channels set up and a matching TRI file for the dash.  I dont know my way around the DSS software very well but the CAN bit should be correct.  Try these to see if they work.  Make sure the dash is set on 500kbit.  

Yorl.TRI ClioF4R CAN test2.pcl

Hi Adam,

I gave this a try and I still see nothing on the dash. I checked that both ECU and dash are at 500kbit, the resistor is ON in the dash too. Any way I can check the Vipec is actually sending something?

You really need a CAN sniffer or oscilloscope to test if there is data and the waveform is correct.  One quick test you can do is unplug the dash and measure voltage on the CAN H & CAN L wires coming from the ECU.  Measuring between ground and CAN H you should see a little above 2.5V, and measuring between ground and CAN L you should have a little below 2.5V if there is data.