Plex Knock monitor CAN Rx setup

Rozsko

Hi Guys,

Plex recently released some new firmware for the Knock Monitor V2 and they introduced the ability to custom configure the CAN messages to be receive for RPM and Load.

Their documentation is far from detailed enough for me and wanted to ask if anyone had figured it out yet.

So there are actually questions in my mind:

1) Can I use the Offset to shift RPM or the Load with 2 bytes, so that I can receive both parameters on the same CAN message ID? Or this offset is the same as the usual offset value in the CAN settings?

2) The load axis in the software looks as if it expects to have some values in the range of 0-100%, but load in the G4x is MAP which will go way beyond 100 value. So do you know if this would work, or the load should be setup as TPS in the Knock Monitor config?

Thanks,

Béla

• Rozsko changed the title to Plex Knock monitor CAN Rx setup

If load only allows 0-100% then TP is probably the easiest option to use.  Our parameter "Load (Abs)" follows the SAE J1979 definition so goes above 100% with boost.  I suspect they might be expecting something more like the SAE "Load PCT" which is basically percentage of peak torque available so works from 0-100%.  

If you are not using the torque management system you could use the multiplier in that to generate a torque value that varies from 0-100%, then send that as load.

Set up below would be how the set up should look assuming stream 1 was transmitted on ID 900 decimal.  The TP may need a multiplier on it as they dont specify resolution anywhere in their documentation.  

1ctazg8.png

image.png.08a490ea4fbe044e05ffa0b3fbbe5fe0.png

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

If load only allows 0-100% then TP is probably the easiest option to use.  Our parameter "Load (Abs)" follows the SAE J1979 definition so goes above 100% with boost.  I suspect they might be expecting something more like the SAE "Load PCT" which is basically percentage of peak torque available so works from 0-100%.  

If you are not using the torque management system you could use the multplier in that to generate a torque value that varies from 0-100%, then send that as load.

Set up below would be how the set up should look assuming stream 1 was tranmitted on ID 900 decimal.  The TP may need a multiplier on iot as they dont specify resolution anywhere in there documentation.  

1ctazg8.png

image.png.08a490ea4fbe044e05ffa0b3fbbe5fe0.png

Thanks Adam. That's exactly how I was thinking about the offset.

Wi wire it up and give it a try to see the load piece. Torque management is not something I looked into yet, but it seems time has come to do so.

Just to confirm, I wired up the KM and this works nice. RMP and TPS% displayed on the unit, though it is a bit cluttered as values are jumping up and down with 2,3,4 characters from one moment to an other. Did not dig into the load yet, but I suspect that thresholds can't be setup to consider both RPM and load anyhow, but will keep playing with it until dyno time.

Not really ECU related, but wanted to ask if you guys figured out a nice and sturdy way of mounting the unit to the windscreen. What I have now is a clip type phone holder with a fairly short and rigid arm to the suction cup, so it is not too bad, but I feel the clip itself is not the most secure way of holding the the unit.

Thanks,

Béla