Turbo RPM Settings

defjux23

Hello all! I have a Garrett GTX3582R Gen II turbo with a 10 blade compressor wheel. According to Garrett, their turbospeed sensor outputs at 1/8th input frequency. Using the Link provided equation, I set my calibration to 7500 and now turbospeed reads extra high on our AIM Dash, for example 93 rpmx1000 at idle. I've checked my CAN multipliers and everything is set to 1. Seems like everything should be right, what am I doing wrong here?

Dan

Garrett Turbospeed Documentation.PNG

Link Turbospeed Documentation.PNG

Evo Before Dyno.pclr LINK_Pro Awe Thunder_@20190316_075205_007515.xc1 PDM32 Pro Awe V1.7.zconfig

• 1 year later...

We updated the firmware and the turbo speed would read for a few seconds and then go to zero. We grounded the DI- and no luck, same issue. By happenstance, our mechanic held the DI- wire in his hand and all of a sudden the turbo speed started to read properly. After talking with an electrical engineer friend, we decided to try the smallest capacitor we had, 104 picofarad, from DI- to ground and now the turbo speed reads properly. Thoughts?

Dan

@Adamw, I'm the mechanic that was working on the car with defjux. The turbo speed works fine on DI15 with DI- grounded through the capacitor. I have no problem leaving it this way if it's working, I just want to make sure it isn't an indication of something wrong with the wiring in general, whether that be poor grounds, power supply issue etc (all have been checked to the best of my ability). To reiterate, the same wire going into DI15+ was working fine on one of the lower speed DIs, but would overrun the frequency limit around 57k turbo speed. The rpm reading at idle is the same on the high speed input as it was with the low, so for now it seems to be functioning. 

I dont see any harm in leaving the cap there.  I dont know enough about how the differential DI circuit works to offer an explanation of the cause.  Just I have seen turbo speed connected to those DI's in the past with nothing special required.  But if it works and continues to work under normal operating conditions that I would be happy.