EJ20 STI rally car setup

KennyJ

I'm making a build sheet for a customer of mine. He has a '00 frogeye JDM STI Group N rally car.
Car is now on stock wiring with autronic plugin ecu , aftermarket gauges for oil P and fuel P. Really basic setup , ecu is working but wiring has been hacked up a few times... trust in the setup isnt great and its fairly dated

car:
JDM EJ20 avcs only on intake cams
Dogbox with gearsensor
aftermarket DCCD controller

turbo has intake restrictor

the list so far:
-Fury ecu
-Link aim driver display
-both wiring A and B looms
-Bosch wideband (to be controlled by ecu)

-Bosch knock sensor (car currently has none)

-PRP R35 coilpack kit (car kills oem coilpack from time to time)
-Bosch Pressure/temp sensor for : oil/fuel/water(water because its a subaru and i assume i'll be able to detect -headgasket pressure in the system in the loggings ?)
-flexfuel sensor , its on VP E85 but the car sits weeks between rally's and i thought it would be handy to be able to park it when last ran on normal pump fuel ? to prevent damage/clogging to injectors

-3 way mac valve  or would a 4 way be benificial when used with an actuator with 2 nipples ?

i'm open to ideas and input , Fury might be overkill but Extreme has no wideband control. Or is a wideband a bad idea with the antilagg banging in the exhaust ?

setup i would like:

avcs control

launch control

antilagg

knock control , currently has none
closed loop lambda

closed loop shift control

boost control by gear to get maximum boost in each gear as fast as possible - the restrictor kills power over 5.5k rpm

boost by tps to make it driveable

flex fuel from E85 to pump to get in parked in the shop over time , no power wanted from the pump fuel

owner isnt interested in DBW , he doesnt want blipping when downshifting for engine braking. I dont think there's a real advantage in DBW for this setup ?

Knock control generally isnt possible on gravel, the gravel hitting the sump guard/exhaust/chassis just creates too much random noise that cant be filtered.

DBW is highly recommended for antilag, it means you only bypass air when needed and you can still have nice manners for touring stages.  The old group N method with permanently cranked open throttle made them complete pigs to drive off stage.  The other old fashion options with solenoids or throttle kicker mean you have much less control over tuning how much push the driver is happy with.  For example with DBW can can give more air for highspeed overrun and less air/less push on low speed corners.  

Boost control on restrictor cars is where my experience is lacking, I have only looked after a couple of unrestricted hill climb and sprint type cars.  I suspect 3 port would be the easiest, I have noticed from looking at logs it is normal to taper the boost off at the top end, but some of that happens naturally so it is not all work of the solenoid.  From what I have seen the range of boost is not normally massive.   Most restrictor cars also use a turbo speed sensor to help optimise the boost curve.  

Revs and a 34MM restrictor..

With a 34mm you are going backwards if you try to rev a Subaru over 5500. Sure, with E85 its not as bad, but Its the cause of that nice straight line of boost Plummet....And as a benefit of not revving the car the headgaskets don't go Pop!! I Honestly think that Bosch sensor in the water is for Water temp only. 99.99% of popped headgaskets in a Rally Subaru are from wacking something or getting it too hot from Over-revving from what I have seen.

Knock control is a really good safety net when you cop a bad batch of fuel (Like at WRC when the fuel truck doesn't turn up and you need to go to the Maxville Caltex for 98...) But as noted earlier, Its not to be relied on!

I Do like the sound of this Coilpack kit......

No issues here with just a 3port grimmspeed (mac) valve. It did need a final tune on the closed loop PID on gravel away from the dyno, which AdamW helped finetune last year been rocksolid since install. (Also moved away from old autronic) 

I run the knock sensor installed but not doing any limiting just as a guide. So I can look at the log and monitor between events. 

I'll let you know how the DBW throttle goes with the ALS in 2 weeks, still haven't had a chance to try in anger as rally's keep being canned, only tested on the road so far to get it setup, but looks promising so far, all the advantages Adam mentioned 

I have wideband control only on very low rpm/load again more just monitoring between events. It's great having large memory to just log everything on stage, sensor is not close to turbo, I think I have been lucky so far.. 

On 11/25/2021 at 5:16 AM, KennyJ said:

thanks for the input all , project has been planned and got green light from the owner

the dbw i'll discuss as the man isnt a great fan of antilagg to start with

More aggressive Antilag on a Subaru has a tendency to melt the flex joins in the header pipes anyway.... Unless you swap them out every 2-3 events! You should get away with just the Idle control and some sculduggery with timing at idle for a bit more throttle on a cable throttle to use some mild antilag.

Because Koala's love Antilag!

(Sorry.. Rally "In" joke...)