DBW calibration problem with Boomba TB

evoplatypus

Hi

I have a problem trying to calibrate the evo X boomba TB on my V88. When I calibrate the stock evo X TB everything works fine. When I take the motor out and put it in the Boomba and try to calibrate the plate won't open to 100%. It goes up to about 60% and doesn't go any further. Like the motor wouldn't have enough strenght to over come the spring during calibration. I tried this: I calibrated the motor while in the stock TB and then put it back to the boomba again and the boomba TB seams to work ok when I press the pedal to 100% the plate opens to 100%. So the motor is strong enough to open the plate to 100% even with the boomba spring during normal operation but when I tried to calibrate again on the boomba it doesn't pass 60% opening. I then took out the spring from the boomba and the boomba calibrated fine without the spring in it. My question is why during calibration the motor can't open the boomba TB to 100% when it has the capabilities to do it. Is the current going to aux 9/10 lower during calibration then during normal operation? Please help me out guys. That's my first ethrottle project. Maybe the anwser is obvious.

Dave

No errors after TB calibration process. After presing the acceleration pedal to 100% the TPS (main) and TPS (sub) are both showing 100% opening but the voltage from these sensors is only about 2.5V. Which is actualy right because the plate is about 50% open. After taking out the spring again the TB calibrates fine. If I calibrate without the spring in the boomba TB and put the spring back in, the TB works fine and opens to 100% until I try to calibrate again with the spring inside. I was thinking it might be a power supply related issue because I'm running the tests on the bench but I'm using a transformer with 12A output so it should be fine. I also connected a car battery to see if it would change anything but it didn't. What do you think?

Check your max and min duty cycles. If they are lower than 95% you can increase to that point.

Also make sure the TP main is the input that spans the biggest voltage range and the sub should be the input that spans the narrower range.

Check when it goes through the cal process it fully opens and closes the plate.

I changed the max clamp DC to 95% and min to -95 but that didn't help. DC goes only up to 50 during main and sub calibration. Plate still not opening to a 100%. The range of the voltage change is about the same for both main and sub sensors during calibration. It's 2,63V for main and 2,69V for sub. Main going from 0,57V to 3,20 and sub from 4,49 to 1,80. I set up the main sensor to be sub and sub to main but that didn't change anything too.

What PID values are you using.

I have never had a problem like you are experiencing.

If it has a heavier spring, you may have to use higher Proportional and Integeral values.

Only make small changes to these values.

Write down your original values, that way if you have no luck you can revert back to your original settings.

Before you change your PID values, do the following,,,,,,

Carry out a Manual TPS callibration first.

Disconnect the DBW motor or turn it off in the software,

Select TPS setup, under the options tab at the top left of the VTS page next to file.

When the tab appears for wide open throttle, with your fingers move the throttle blade to WOT position.

Click on the tab to achnowlege WOT position,

a tab will appear insructing for closed throttle,

Push the throttle blade fully closed, all the way to the throttle stop, click on the tab to achnowlege closed throttle.

Press F4 save to ECU, F2 save pcl file.

Reactivate your DBW motor.

Put the DBW into calibration mode, recalibrate, check for end result.

Regards

Dave.

Dave. I tried what you suggested and it didn't help anything. Still during "auto" calibration the plate doesn't go past 50% opening. My PID settings are P-7, I-0,78, D-38. I find these settings best for the stock evo X TB. I played around with changing the P and I but it didn't do any good. Any other ideas? Is there a way to allow the motor to go past 50% DC during calibration? If anything won't help with the calibration process do you think it is safe to calibrate the boomba TB without the spring, then put the spring back in, then find best PID settings and then drive the car??? I contacted boomba asking about the stiffness of the spring and they said they didn't have any complains from customers using the TB with the stock ECU. Seems like for the stock evo X ECU it is not a problem to calibrate their TB.

Should be no problem to calibrate with out the spring and then reinstall.

The calibration is only setting up the voltage points for fully open and closed on the TPS Main and Sub.

The test will be if the motor draws too much current when the spring is reinstalled it will cause the e throttle to shut down.

Just received a new spring from Boomba. Less stiff. I installed it and the cal process went fine. Throttle plate opens and closes fast enough. So definitely the problem was with the spring being to stiff. I find P-3.0 I-0.016 D-45 to work best for that configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

I think its good idea to spend whole day to test drive the car. I experienced DBW shut off few times due to V88 DBW control overheated after driving the car for about 2 hours. The car is BMW with S54B32 engine, individual throttle bodies driven by single DBW motor. Still got this problem until now