MX5 Coolant Temp Sensor Replacement

SpikeEJ

I am looking to add a coolant temp sensor for an AEM water temp gauge. However I am struggling to find a location for the sensor. Here’s my idea,

The 1.6 NA6 has a coolant temp sensor at the back of the head that I want to replace with the AEM one. I know for a fact that the sensors have different calibration but if I was to change the sensor to the AEM one, can I change the calibration of the ECT on the ECU? As then I can run the gauge and the ECU input for ECT off the one temp sensor. Without making the gauge read wrong like T-ing off the factory sensor does (tried previously)…

Cheers

The factory dash gage sensor is the one with the single tab, the factory ecu sensor is the one with the green plug and then the one on the coolant neck at the front is just a temperature switch for triggering the cooling fan.

Leave the factory dash gauge sensor alone, replace the green plug sensor with the aem one and wire it to both ecu and aem gauge, turn off the An Temp 1 pullup in the Link ECU and then you will need to give the ECU a custom calibration to suit the new sensor and whatever pullup resistor value is in the gauge.

Or look into simply buying a CAN Gauge and send the coolant temp value from the ECU to the gauge over CAN which is less wiring and you can display more than just ECT.

With doing this, I am only able to enter 16 temp/ohm calibration readings. I have done this in steps of 10*C from -10*C to +140*C. However the Cal table online for the sensor has units from -40*C all the way to +150*C in 5*C increments. Obviously the more data points the better but is there any issue in running less data points? If so, how do i go about adding more data cells? Attached is my cal table on Link Software vs. the cal table for the sensor.  Cheers

table 1.JPG

table 2.JPG