Mini cooper mpi 1300 (mems rover ecu) 1998 trigger setup

kirchoff

Sorry, I was working away for a week at the time of your last post, I must have got distracted and I never passed the scope on to the firmware team.  I have just done that now.  Will update you as soon as I can.

10 hours ago, kirchoff said:

i cant understand why sometimes car runs ok and other no,

There are 720 degrees or 2 crank rotations in a 4 stroke engine cycle.  The trigger mode you are using currently has no awareness of the cam sensor, it is looking at the flywheel sensor only.  Without a cam sensor the ecu does not know whether it is looking at TDC on the first crank rotation or TDC on the 2nd crank rotation.  So you will only be achieving correct injector timing by luck of the draw.  For some start attempts the ecu will start firing the injectors at the correct time during the intake phase, for other start attempts you will luck out and the injectors will be firing on the wrong crank rotation - 360 deg out of phase.  It will still run since the wasted spark means there will still be spark at the correct time - just injection timing will be out so there will likely be serious charge robbing going on.

For it to sync reliably the ecu needs to see some unique pattern from the triggers once every 720 deg - the only place that can be created is from the cam. 

Were those scopes done with the engine cranking or running?  If done when running that cam sensor voltage hasnt increased at all.  It would almost suggest a wiring issue like it is missing a ground or something.  

If you unplug the ecu and measure resistance between pin 7 and 9 in the ecu loom plug what do you get?  

11 minutes ago, kirchoff said:

hi resistor between pin 7 and 9 jumps a little bit but it is arround 0,6 MOhms

Yep that would suggest there is something wrong with wiring or sensor there.  Check the resistance directly at the sensor pins also - if you get the same then sensor is open circuit.  If something more typical then investigate wiring.  Typically a VR sensor like this would be more like 500ohm.  Well at least less than 1000ohm.  

Pin 24 is fine, sorry I was assuming the standard Link loom when I said to measure to pin 7.  And yeah 1.3Kohm would likely be correct, higher than what I normally see, but rover was never normal. 

I would be checking air gap next if it is accessible.  if larger than say 0.5mm you could likely trim or grind a bit off the mounting flange so it inserts deeper. 

pC3sRrW.png 

hi again i still have problem with fuel distribution, some start up engine run ok other no,when wngine run b ad if i change injection angle i solved until nest start up wherei have to change again injection angle manually.

i have lowered cam sensor  but still same problem

• 1 month later...

Hello again, Im still working on this engine as there is non solvable problem with random misfiring. I might think that Ive found out possible problem with it . I have tried to sync engine with 180 deg offset to other pair of cylinder to see if there is any change, but after changing fire order there is no change in offset at all. Its same for 1-3-4-2 and 3-4-2-1 (65 deg)