M50 PnP AFR Wiring Through Stock Harness

Jake.Stiles

Assuming you are using a BMW Link E36X Link plug in - the OEM oxygen sensor input is on pin 13 of the ecu header reading in to Analog Voltage 3 input.  So it should be possible to output the white wire to this, and the ground (brown) wire to one of the ecu header ground wires like pin 15.  If the factory o2 has good continuity on it's ground wires to the ECU grounds then you could theoretically hook that up there, but it may cause a ground offset and thus a signal output offset if there is any measurable resistance difference between the ground at the factory o2 wiring and the ecu ground pins.

10 hours ago, koracing said:

Assuming you are using a BMW Link E36X Link plug in - the OEM oxygen sensor input is on pin 13 of the ecu header reading in to Analog Voltage 3 input.  So it should be possible to output the white wire to this, and the ground (brown) wire to one of the ecu header ground wires like pin 15.  If the factory o2 has good continuity on it's ground wires to the ECU grounds then you could theoretically hook that up there, but it may cause a ground offset and thus a signal output offset if there is any measurable resistance difference between the ground at the factory o2 wiring and the ecu ground pins.

That’s what I was thinking. So if I did run it through through Can I’m guessing that means I have to order one of Links wire looms to connect it to the ECU? Or do I also have to order their CAN Lambda device as well?

Are you sure your wideband is part number 35-3430?  That's a part number for a replacement sensor cable I believe.  To connect an X-Series wideband to the E36X link you would need one of the 5 pin can expansion cables and nothing else.  Settings in the help menu are there for the CAN setup on the AEM X-Series.

11 hours ago, koracing said:

Are you sure your wideband is part number 35-3430?  That's a part number for a replacement sensor cable I believe.  To connect an X-Series wideband to the E36X link you would need one of the 5 pin can expansion cables and nothing else.  Settings in the help menu are there for the CAN setup on the AEM X-Series.

No it is not. You are right. That was the only part number I could find and I guess I should have done a little more googling. With just that one connector I’ll only need 2 of those wires correct?

Yes off of the 5 pin can expansion harness you'll only be using the CAN L and CAN H pins (pins 2 and 3) green and white wires usually for CAN communication.  

If you get link's CANJST cable it only comes with the 2 can pins populated on the 5 pin connector and then a power and ground flying lead to hook up for the 4pin Deutsch DTM.  You can run your AEM X-Series CAN and power/ground through this cable via a mating 4 pin Deutsch DTM connector (not included with the cable) to make a clean install.

101-0197.1.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&r