WRX V11, Expansion Loom Questions

stihoggison

Hello,

My name is Zach, I have a USDM 2008 STi for which I purchased a WRX V11 G4x plug-in ECU.

I have the following I'd like to wire in:

1) Oil Pressure

2) Oil Temp

3) EGT

4) CAN Lamda (this one seems pretty straight forward, so I think I am ok on this item)

I've been looking over the Help files in PCLink, but can't find a pinout picture of the Expansion loom plugs.  I am looking for similar to the attached picture.  If anyone can help with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Zach

WRX11 Pinout Screenshot.png

If you navigate in the Help to the page shown in the breadcrumb at the top, then scroll down that page it shows Expansion 1-8 in the pinouts :) 

Most of the pins are already used on this, but there is An Temp 4 on Expansion 3 you could use for Oil Temp, if you're going for CAN Lambda, you won't need the stock narrowband O2 input on An7 (pin B4) so could potentially re-use that for Oil Pressure.

If you're ditching the MAF, you might also have access to An8 (pin B26) if your EGT outputs a 0-5v signal.

At least that's my first thoughts, looking purely at the help :) Hope this helps a little! I'm sure there's ways to tweak things around - if not, you can always grab a CANBUS module and pump a load of extra parameters in that way :)

Hi Confused,

Thank you, I saw that as well, but I didn't know which expansion plug on the circuit board it was for.  I forgot to list that I'm adding an ethanol sensor as well, so according to this post below, I need to tap into both expansion plugs.  This is on a WRX 9 ECU however, so it could be different.

Then again, both expansion plugs' pinouts could be the exact same.  Just trying to cross my t's and dot my i's before I take the stock ECU out and start down this path. 

Thank you again for your response, much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Zach 

Flex Fuel sensor needs a Digital Input, DI11 is available on Expansion 2.

The V11 board appears to only have a single expansion connector available - almost all the other available inputs & outputs are already used on the main header for stock functionality - on "simpler" cars there's more free inputs & outputs that aren't presented to the main header, so they sometimes have up to 2 expansion connectors.

Hi Confused,

Based on your input, I think I've got it figured. 

- I don't have TGVs, so those are open.  An Volt 4 = Oil Pressure.  Alternatively, I can use An Volt 5 or An Volt 7 as you suggested.

- As you suggested: An Temp 4 for oil temp, DI11 for Ethanol sensor.

- CAN Lambda for wideband.

Regarding the CAN Module, this sounds interesting.  I tried searching on here and on Google but could not find any that are confirmed to work well with the G4x.  Any suggestions?  I can get by without EGT, but I'd really like to expand the CAN so I can connect the wideband as well as EGT.

Thank you again for your help, it is very much appreciated and I feel much more confident going into this.  Electronics and I don't interact too often, so when I have to work with them, I tend to get overwhelmed, lol.

Best Regards,

Zach

It looks like the pinouts in the manual and help file may not have been updated to include the 2nd exp port.  Ill look into that.  

Note ANV 4, 5, 7 & 8 can be redirected to the expansion port using the jumpers on the bottom board if you are not using them for the factory functions (tgv, maf etc).  You dont need to use the main header to access these.  

Pinouts of the exp ports should be pretty clear on the labels on the board.  You can also use the "Vbat" pin to power your flex sensor.  

VNz6cKB.png

Correct our ECU's dont have a direct thermocouple input, you will need a 0-5V thermocouple amplifier or a CAN bus egt amp.  If you only want a single TC, Texsense have a nice analog one, and a branch in Deutschland.

https://www.sens4speed.com/en/products/59-thermocouple-amplifier/95-thk-200-400-1250degc-3.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

I performed my first start up this evening.  I received ECU Fault Code 20, An Volt 4 below Error Low Value.  I have an AEM 30-0302 X-Series oil temp gauge and the analog outputs are connected to AN Volt 4 and the ground on that expansion connector.  With the ECU powered on, I verified I have voltage across the AEM output wires (0-5v and ground), but for some reason the signal is not reaching the ECU.  I've searched on here, but could not find any suggestions.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Zach