Steering Angle ANVolt Input issues

Myrotarylife

Hello All,

Maybe I m going mad here but I want to add a steering angle sensor to my FD Rx7.  I have an analogue sensor and I have it wired to AN7 on my Plug in G4+ S8 ECU.

I have assigned the channel and labelled it, my plan was to use Cal Table 7 to Zero the sensor at 2.5v ish ( steering Centred ) and for left turns run a negative value for angle and right positive scaling,  0-5 Volts vs full lock left and right.

It would appear that I have no option for Deg in the units and also, the cal table wont let me set a negative number. As it stands I would basically just have to log a voltage.

Does anyone have a good work around for this or can we please add degrees to a ANV unit list and also enable negative numbers in the cal tables.

Thanks,

Charlie

Unfortunately it isnt possible directly in the G4+.  Most of the variables were designed with a specific range and resolution in mind so are coded with a bit width to suit.  I suspect negative values in custom cal tables was probably overlooked and never considered at the time.  

Steering angle can be received via a CAN input as both negative and positive degrees.  So we can possibly do a trick there.  What do you currently have connected to the CAN ports?

Hi Adam,

Not much on CAN right now. I have an AIM MXG Dash on CAN1, nothing on CAN2, although my plan was to turn this into an OBDII Port.

Actually, thinking about it I wonder if I can add the Analogue input into the Dash and feed back the CAN data to the ECU?

What where you thinking bud?

Charlie.

Two options, #1, you can connect the steering pot to one of the dash inputs and we can send that to the ecu to receive as a native steering position runtime.  

#2, you can wire CAN port 1 to CAN port 2 - the dash will still work as well as obd2.  We then connect the steering pot to an ANVolt, set up as a 0-5V GP input, send out the raw voltage on say CAN1, and receive it back into CAN 2 as steering pos.