Link keypad on G4+

Wiks

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2024 at 8:48 PM, PANAYIOTIS said:

DO YOU KNOOW FROM WHERE I CAN BUY ONE?

Ring or email Blink and they will update the firmware for you. That's what I've had to do.

• 1 month later...

@Adamw Hey Adam, I sent my 4button keypad to Blink, they updated it to the Motorsports firmware. I can't get it to show up on my ECU at all. I've got a G4+ E36 plugin ecu. When I turn the car ignition on, the keypad does flash and does its on sequence then turns off.

Under the mode section, "Link Keypad 1" also doesn't show up for me on my ECU.

Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you

chrome_USEteBxhqU.png

44 minutes ago, dibzer said:

@Adamw Hey Adam, I sent my 4button keypad to Blink, they updated it to the Motorsports firmware. I can't get it to show up on my ECU at all. I've got a G4+ E36 plugin ecu. When I turn the car ignition on, the keypad does flash and does its on sequence then turns off.

Under the mode section, "Link Keypad 1" also doesn't show up for me on my ECU.

Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you

chrome_USEteBxhqU.png

The keypad will never show up in the search in G4+ PCLink, just setup the CAN as shown in Adam's post higher up in this thread and see if the correct statuses change when you push buttons.

32 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The keypad will never show up in the search in G4+ PCLink, just setup the CAN as shown in Adam's post higher up in this thread and see if the correct statuses change when you push buttons.

Thank you, the config he attached, am I able to import that without overriding anything in my current tune? Or just manually copy what hes done there

18 minutes ago, dibzer said:

Thank you, the config he attached, am I able to import that without overriding anything in my current tune? Or just manually copy what hes done there

open it in a separate PCLink and manually copy it

34 minutes ago, dibzer said:

Okay easy, are these apart of it? (highlighted box in green)

Yes

Receive User Stream 1 on ID 405 is the message from the keypad with the button statuses in it, note if you have a larger keypad than the 2200 model then you will want more statuses in that stream as specified in the PDF file in Adam's post.

Transmit User Stream 2 on ID 533 is sending the LED states to the keypad, the multi can be changed to change the colour as specified in the pdf and shown in Adam's example, more CAN DI states will be needed here as well if using a larger keypad. Note the "Batt Voltage" parameters being sent in this stream have a multi of 0 and so are just sending constant values of 20 and 3 respectively.

Transmit User Stream 3 on ID 789 is sending the LED Flash states to the keypad, like the above but flashes instead of constant, note CAN DI 2 is flashing in Adam's example where 1, 3 and 4 are just on or off.

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Yes

Receive User Stream 1 on ID 405 is the message from the keypad with the button statuses in it, note if you have a larger keypad than the 2200 model then you will want more statuses in that stream as specified in the PDF file in Adam's post.

Transmit User Stream 2 on ID 533 is sending the LED states to the keypad, the multi can be changed to change the colour as specified in the pdf and shown in Adam's example, more CAN DI states will be needed here as well if using a larger keypad. Note the "Batt Voltage" parameters being sent in this stream have a multi of 0 and so are just sending constant values of 20 and 3 respectively.

Transmit User Stream 3 on ID 789 is sending the LED Flash states to the keypad, like the above but flashes instead of constant, note CAN DI 2 is flashing in Adam's example where 1, 3 and 4 are just on or off.

Still no luck, I've copied everything correctly and triple checked but no lights or anything coming on the keypad. I have the 4button 2200_SI model keypad.

Video link of it not working but powering on https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tCNTi9cpMQ9jhby-M7rf4OHzhSc6Xcy-/view?usp=sharing

There is a stuff Error on your CAN bus 1 but I can't see anything else that would indicate any issues and I can't see any of the CAN DI's changing.

I assume the keypad is wired up to CAN 1?

Do you have any kind of CAN sniffing tool that you could connect up to see what messages are on the bus?

Do you know if your keypad is set to Node ID 15h or to something else?

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

There is a stuff Error on your CAN bus 1 but I can't see anything else that would indicate any issues and I can't see any of the CAN DI's changing.

I assume the keypad is wired up to CAN 1?

Do you have any kind of CAN sniffing tool that you could connect up to see what messages are on the bus?

Do you know if your keypad is set to Node ID 15h or to something else?

I don't have any CAN sniffing tools :(

CAN 1 is where the Keypad plugs into the ECU correct? I have a CAN splitter as I run CAN Lambda & CAN gauge. Do you know what the error is?

How do I check what node it's set too?

12 minutes ago, dibzer said:

CAN 1 is where the Keypad plugs into the ECU correct? I have a CAN splitter as I run CAN Lambda & CAN gauge. Do you know what the error is?

That is what I am asking, have you connected the CAN wires from the keypad to CAN 1 on the ECU like your CAN Lambda and Gauge or have you connected it to CAN 2? 

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

That is what I am asking, have you connected the CAN wires from the keypad to CAN 1 on the ECU like your CAN Lambda and Gauge or have you connected it to CAN 2? 

Everything should be connected to CAN 1, I don't think anything is connected to CAN 2. I will check that out and let you know

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Just checked over everything, everything is plugged into CAN 1, I rechecked all connections and everything is correct. Did it say what the error was?

Im pretty sure by default the motorsport keypads are programmed to run at 125Kbit/s and are not active at startup.   If that is still the case with your one then you really need a CAN tool to reprogram those optional settings to make it usable.  I vaguely remember guiding someone to try reprogramming one using the ecu before and I think we got it to work. 

Did blink give you a manual for it?   

On 7/15/2024 at 6:18 PM, Adamw said:

Im pretty sure by default the motorsport keypads are programmed to run at 125Kbit/s and are not active at startup.   If that is still the case with your one then you really need a CAN tool to reprogram those optional settings to make it usable.  I vaguely remember guiding someone to try reprogramming one using the ecu before and I think we got it to work. 

Did blink give you a manual for it?   

Hey Adam, got this from Blink for you guys. Let me know your thoughts on why you think my Keypad isn't working, I've attached my tune and log for you a couple messages above. Thank you

blink motorsport firmware.jpg

On 7/17/2024 at 5:06 PM, dibzer said:

Hey Adam, got this from Blink for you guys. Let me know your thoughts on why you think my Keypad isn't working, I've attached my tune and log for you a couple messages above. Thank you

blink motorsport firmware.jpg

@Adamw @Vaughan hey guys sorry i really want my keypad to work, any help

That says that by default it is set to run at 125kbit/s, have you tried communicating with it with only the keypad and ECU on the CAN bus and the ECU CAN bus set to 125kbit/s? If that works then you will either need to put any other CAN devices on a different CAN bus that is set to the right rate for them or you will need to change the bus rate in the keypad which given you have a G4+ ECU will require some form of USB to CAN device and an appropriate bit of software to send the correct messages to it.

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

That says that by default it is set to run at 125kbit/s, have you tried communicating with it with only the keypad and ECU on the CAN bus and the ECU CAN bus set to 125kbit/s? If that works then you will either need to put any other CAN devices on a different CAN bus that is set to the right rate for them or you will need to change the bus rate in the keypad which given you have a G4+ ECU will require some form of USB to CAN device and an appropriate bit of software to send the correct messages to it.

Do you recon I try to make it run off CAN 2? Because CAN 1 has a few devices on it currently such as CAN Lambda, CAN Gauge

51 minutes ago, dibzer said:

Do you recon I try to make it run off CAN 2? Because CAN 1 has a few devices on it currently such as CAN Lambda, CAN Gauge

Doesn't matter which one you try initially, first you just want to prove that the bus rate is the only remaining issue.

On 7/23/2024 at 11:30 AM, Vaughan said:

Doesn't matter which one you try initially, first you just want to prove that the bus rate is the only remaining issue.

The keypad has miraculously turned on after I reset the battery. But as soon as I go make any changes to the colours of the buttons to test if it works etc. it will work then suddenly not turn back on for a bit. Then randomly turn back on. Sometimes once pushing the button there is an long input delay.

I'm also very confused on how to assign say, manually turning my fan on on DI #1. How do I set up the keypad? I can't find any information on it for G4+.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a G4X ECU, but after a short search will my G4+ tune not be able to transfer over to a G4X ecu?

3 hours ago, dibzer said:

The keypad has miraculously turned on after I reset the battery. But as soon as I go make any changes to the colours of the buttons to test if it works etc. it will work then suddenly not turn back on for a bit. Then randomly turn back on. Sometimes once pushing the button there is an long input delay.

Is this on CAN 2 with 125kbps? Or have you managed to sort out that side of it?

I'm also very confused on how to assign say, manually turning my fan on on DI #1. How do I set up the keypad? I can't find any information on it for G4+.

If you just want to control the fan directly with the CAN DI then setup the appropriate output as a GP Output with CAN DI as the condition (where it has the value '1' in red is where you specify which CAN DI, e.g. a value of 3 here is CAN DI 3 active). If you want to look at temperature too then you can do Cond 1 OR 2 with 'ECT >' as the SW Cond 2.

Capture.PNG.2824b327f1aef1569a30ad0d49c6c956.PNG

I'm thinking of upgrading to a G4X ECU, but after a short search will my G4+ tune not be able to transfer over to a G4X ecu?

G4X is definitely more configurable, you would want your keypad set back to normal CAN Open firmware though. Some settings transfer over from G4+ to G4X and others need retuning, general feedback on G4+ vs G4X is that with G4X the engine is noticeably more responsive.

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Is this on CAN 2 with 125kbps? Or have you managed to sort out that side of it?

CAN 1 with 1mbit/s. As soon as we switched the keypad to 125kbps it made the CAN Lambda, CAN Gauge stop working. However on CAN 1 when switched to 125kbps to see if the Keypad would like it, it shut off and didn't turn back on until with switch it back to 1mbit/s.

I'm going to buy another CANJST to put onto CAN 2 and dedicate the keypad to that only, then set it to 125kbps and hope that works.

Would you be able to explain why the keypad was lagging and shutting off randomly when we tried to edit something etc, is that because its trying to work off CAN 1 at 1mbit/s?