Honeywell MIP sensors

BikeMurgunder

Hello all! I have installed a few new Honeywell MIP sensors for various things and I want to make sure I have everything set correctly. Could you please take a look at the settings here and let me know if i screwed anything up?

For pressures, I am using the 100psi (MIPAN2XX100PSAA) sensors for oil pressure, coolant pressure, and boost pressure. I am using the 100psi (absolute, MIPAN2XX100PAAA) sensors for MAP. For my cal tables, I have them set as follows:

Table 4 (100psi gauge): 

Input A: .50v

Input B: 4.50v

Units: PSI

Output A: 0 psi

Output B: 100 psi

Table 6 (100psi absolute)

Input A: .50v

Input B: 4.50v

Units: kpa

Output A: 0 kpa

Output B: 588 kpa 

Adam, how do you judge these MIP sensor to be, lets say, compared to the PX2/PX3 I tend to use?

At leat here in our using field of automotive. I see these MIP are like 4* cheaper than the px2's! And for the specs it almost looks like if its not for refrigerent compatibility the MIP are better?

Yeah they do look ok but I have never used them.  The one time I tried everyone was out of stock with very long leadtimes.  But it would have to be a pretty reliable sensor to sway me away from the Bosch press/temp ones.  The connector is not my favorite but the sensors seem to be way more reliable than anything else I have tried.  

8 hours ago, BikeMurgunder said:

Do all the Link branded pressure sensors read vacuum or just the "map" sensors?

Just the MAP.  Most fluid pressures should use gauge pressure as they are working against atmosphere. 

10 hours ago, dx4picco said:

For a fluid I understand the choice of bosch combi ones.  For Imap and emap, what would be your choice?

To give some context on my preference of the Bosch sensor, a couple of years ago I was looking after the electronics on the Gazzo racing/Toyota racing series, this a category of 25 identical F3 spec cars.  These are very harsh application, high aero, stiff carbon chassis, engine and gearbox are a stressed part of the chassis etc.  There were probably a total of 15-20 pressure sensors in each these cars (so say 500 sensors total), most of the chassis stuff used some italian brand I dont remember and a few variohm, then on the engine we had a mix of a couple of different types of honeywell, OEM toyota/lexus, a single bosch combi for oilpress/temp and a bosch combi MAP sensor.  Over the season of racing out of the 25 cars we had at least a couple of every pressure sensor fail - except for the bosch - no failures at all.    

I dont know if it is actually vibration or pressure spikes that kill them - most people say it is vibration but suspect they are guessing.  I notice bosch often quote a max vibration spec but many of their fluid pressure sensors also mention an internal "choke" to reduce pressure spikes.   What I have noticed is when most pressure sensor fail they short the 5V bus at the same time.  To me if it were vibration I would expect one of the internal contacts or the very fine wires to break which would go open circuit rather than cause a short. 

For IMAP or EMAP they are usually remote mounted so are not going to be exposed to significant vibration or pressure spikes so I wouldnt be too concerned with those.