PClink (G4X) User Experience Suggestions

atlex

I'm just making a little list here of things I've found weird in the interface as I use it.

Mix table: Can we get a shortcut to apply the corrections ? right click select leftclick is a bit cumbersome. I'd love to be able to use the curser keys and then hit a shortcut to apply.

Active Cell more easily Activated: When I stop logging/pull the laptop out the car and then start selecting sections of the log to analyze, it won't show me the active cell for the logged part I've clicked on. It'll only show the cell from the end of the log. I then have to go to the bit before the bit I'm interested in and press 'play log' of course... but it seems like a needless step when there's definitely no more log events coming in.

Knock Trim Oddity: Normalized Logging Ignition Trims aren't showing up in their respective tables unlike the Fuel Trims, but the fuel trims. I've also seen some interesting effects with the 'compare tune' function on these tables.

If there's a more formal place for suggestions/notes like these please let me know where, if this section of the forum isn't quite suitable.

1 hour ago, atlex said:

Mix table: Can we get a shortcut to apply the corrections ? right click select leftclick is a bit cumbersome. I'd love to be able to use the cursor keys and then hit a shortcut to apply.

Possibly, but there arent too many intuitive short cut keys left.   You can just double click on a cell to have it apply the correction.  Any suggestions for shortcut keys that would make sense?

1 hour ago, atlex said:

Active Cell more easily Activated: When I stop logging/pull the laptop out the car and then start selecting sections of the log to analyze, it won't show me the active cell for the logged part I've clicked on. It'll only show the cell from the end of the log. I then have to go to the bit before the bit I'm interested in and press 'play log' of course... but it seems like a needless step when there's definitely no more log events coming in.

Can you give an example - you should have pink cross hairs on the table showing where it was working in the table at the exact point you have the cursor placed in the log.  

1 hour ago, atlex said:

Knock Trim Oddity: Normalized Logging Ignition Trims aren't showing up in their respective tables unlike the Fuel Trims, but the fuel trims. I've also seen some interesting effects with the 'compare tune' function on these tables.

Not sure what you are explaining here, can you give a bit more detail.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:49 PM, Adamw said:

Possibly, but there arent too many intuitive short cut keys left.   You can just double click on a cell to have it apply the correction.  Any suggestions for shortcut keys that would make sense?

I recon Space Bar or Enter would do just fine, they don't appear to do anything in the mix window. I half expected them to.

Can you give an example - you should have pink cross hairs on the table showing where it was working in the table at the exact point you have the cursor placed in the log.  

I switch off the engine and pull up the log view and start clicking about and the ECU is still trying to reconnect, I suspect, to continue logging. If I want it to show the active cell I then need to click a bit before where I want to see the cell, in the log stream view, and then click play, and then active cell tracking is reactivated..

Not sure what you are explaining here, can you give a bit more detail.

I'm just not seeing ignition trim stuff applied in relevant tables. Fuel trim definitely works though. I need to run normalization across a few more cycles without clearing it each ecu start. I'll try get this later this week if all goes well.

Space bar is "jump to active cell", so if you had any table present on the same page it would be controlling that.  Enter may be a possibility but I dont know enough about how it works.  I will put your suggestion into the development system for the software guys to look at one day.  

10 hours ago, atlex said:

I switch off the engine and pull up the log view and start clicking about and the ECU is still trying to reconnect, I suspect, to continue logging. If I want it to show the active cell I then need to click a bit before where I want to see the cell, in the log stream view, and then click play, and then active cell tracking is reactivated..

Possibly you arent stopping the log?  If the log is still running then the cursor will always be at the current operating instant.  Hit F8 to stop the log and the table cross hair should follow the cursor right away.  Otherwise I might need to see a video to get what is happening.