volvo b230 keep melting coil

jonny462

New build over the last month was big turbo b230 volvo 8 valve head with link g4+ fury ecu.

got everything wired up and running off the oem vr trig one sensor utilizing the stock ignitor box and coil. only problem is my dwell times are unreasonably low and i keep melting the ignition coil. upgraded to a msd blaster 8202. not sure what i did, but this is my first time wiring in the link to a distributor ignition. i'm attatching my tune at bottom if someone could check it out and possibly see why the coil could be melting.

engine modification list is, big green injectors, gt35r turbo, stage 1 camshaft, 5 bar map aem, aem iat sensor. oem vr sensor from a 87 volvo240

Setup on the ignition coil is, OEM Bosch igniter ran to MSD blaster 2 using the setup in map, problem is igniter is getting upwards to 300*F and the coil upwards of 170-306*F, tried the dwell duty cycle today and still over heating the igniter and coil, debating on going to a smart coil at this time. Thinking part number 8207 to get rid of the igniter. Thoughts anyone?

• jonny462 changed the title to volvo b230 keep melting coil

Thanks, got it switched over and re set trigger 1 offset, adjusted dwell to more realistic numbers for the coil and its running perfect. i'll update my map below. next step is getting the oem knock sensor working. I wired it up from the original computer, used a knock frequency calculator to see that i should have it set around 5.9khz, question is how to set it up after enabling it, first time im hooking up a knock sensor with the link. which pull down option to use to get it registering.

Thanks in advance

b230 knock sensor wiring.pdf VOLVO.pclr

Its not quite as simple as just turning it on, you would generally want to do some controlled validation using audio knock gear to make sure it does actually detect knock and it doesnt detect events that arent knock.  

But basic settings below will be a starting point.  Set retard limit to zero while you are getting it dialed in so it is not taking any action - just giving you data.  Adjust the main Gain channel so you have an average knock level of around 100-300 at medium RPM/medium load.  Adjust the individual cyl knock level gains so the average knock level on each cylinder is about the same.  

Initially set the knock target table up as just a basic 2D table with RPM on the axis.  Put values in here based on the typical noise levels you are seeing in logs at each RPM breakpoint.   Your knock target would typically be set about 20-30% higher than the normal noise level for that RPM.  

yZNy8Cm.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 10:28 PM, jonny462 said:

Setup on the ignition coil is, OEM Bosch igniter ran to MSD blaster 2 using the setup in map, problem is igniter is getting upwards to 300*F and the coil upwards of 170-306*F, tried the dwell duty cycle today and still over heating the igniter and coil, debating on going to a smart coil at this time. Thinking part number 8207 to get rid of the igniter. Thoughts anyone?

Scope coil current to determine what the coil wants in terms of dwell. triggering method likely inverted so what you think is the coil off time, is actually on time melting everything