Ignition cut mystery

Tuns

I'm really new to tuning, this being the first car I've ever tuned, and this entire process has been a huge learning curve for me. I've made some pretty decent progress on my own thanks to the help of these forums, but I've finally ran into a problem I can't seem to figure out. Ever since I set up multi fuel, every time I start to go WOT, my car hits some sort of cut. If I switch back to my old map that was just set up for one fuel table, I can go WOT and it hits and holds my target boost with no issues. The log says launch control isn't active and that there's no boost or ignition cuts happening, so I'm at a loss. The "cut" can be seen at 2:00-2:05.

The car is a 07 USDM STi

Unrelated to the problem - if there's anything I need to work on, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

ian base tune CA MF.pclx PC datalog.llgx

The ecu is not commanding any cut or limit.    

Bank 1 VVT is reporting errors and not working, so maybe look into what is wrong there.  Start by doing a trigger scope and a cam angle test to see if all the edges are present and that they match the offset table.  

I would have never caught that... I was looking for some kind of cut, but couldn't find anything that would have possibly been wrong.

I went back to look at some older logs when it was able to hit and hold my target boost and it wasn't working then, either. I will do some investigating on that issue and report back when it's resolved. Fingers crossed it's the problem.

Hey, Adam

I got the cam issue resolved. Here's a new log with the same "cut" issue and no bank 1 cam errors. The "cut" can be seen at 2:16. I did a compare between my old tune that I could, and still can, go WOT on and I can't seem to find anything I've changed that could cause problems. I've also attached my old tune as well.

ian base tune.pclx

12 hours ago, remski2 said:

Your Trigger 1 Arming Threshold Table is different...

2.5V @4000rpm vs. 3V.. and @5000rpms 3V vs. 3.5V

rpm wise it matches your cut..  so who knows... 

I did change my Trigger 1 table back to the way it was on a tune that I didn't upload and it made no difference. I thought the same thing when the issue came up.

10 hours ago, Adamw said:

Did you attach the right log?  The engine is idling at 2:16 in that log. 

Shoot, sorry. Here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yH2xjhwodle9wzu6Cf_nsKeDzwApfvWz/view?usp=share_link

Sure thing. Took this log just now on the old map I posted earlier.

Edit: I should add that I did fix the cam timing issue on the old tune as well before taking this log, as I didn't want to be driving around with that problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NWOMZWn2qds_bF6Q6bjDQmVNH6KEoxPs/view?usp=share_link

Ok so comparison below.  The log from the old tune is the pink traces, the log from the current (misfiring) tune is the normal colours.  

The yellow cursor is placed about where the misfire starts, I have lined up a point in the pink log with similar operating conditions.  You can see the main difference is the lambda target, it is 1.00 in the pink log Vs 0.788 in the misfiring log.  This means you injector PW is adding about 35% more fuel.  Your lambda shows 0.747, but you can see that has actually flatlined - it is pegged rich as far as your lambda controller can measure.  

I dont know of any lambda controller that can only measure down to 0.747 so I suspect that means your calibration table is wrong or a controller/sensor/wiring issue.  

So, fix your lambda device or calibration, fix the lambda target table (you shouldnt need anything like 0.79 at 150Kpa), and adjust your fuel table so that measured lambda matches the target and you should be working better.

XZsWFt9.png

I adjusted the target Lambda tables and that fixed the problem completely! I wasn't aware those made a difference in open loop, I thought it only affected closed loop. Just goes to show I have a lot to learn. Thanks, Adam!

As for the controller, it's a Prosport Evo, which I have calibrated to be 0V = 10AFR and 5V = 20AFR. It reads perfect for the most part, I'm not entirely sure why it wouldn't be able to read more rich than .747. I can check the output voltage at WOT and see if the output looks like it makes sense.

23 minutes ago, Adamw said:

It looks like AN volt 11 never goes below 0.5V so maybe its meant to be 0.5V=10AFR.  You can test max rich by pulling the sensor out, spray a little brake kleen or similar hydrocarbon on a rag and wrap it around the end of the sensor.  

I did that a while ago because I was having controller problems, but I'll do it again and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam, sorry for the delayed reply. 

I tested my wideband and found that the sensor was faulty. It was able to reach full rich, but it was very slow to get there and it was unstable when it finally did. A new LSU 4.9 sensor fixed it right up. Thanks for all the help, man. 

I also have a separate issue unrelated to this. I have the E-Throttle set up to where it's fairly responsive, but it's unstable. I've tried all different combinations of settings to make something happy and I can't seem to find anything that works perfectly. Any advice would be appreciated.