No signal from trigger 2 (cam sensor) e36 g4+ pnp

blazenks

Hi Im just trying to setup my g4+ e36 pnp with a m50nv engine where the ecu connector has been repinned. My main issue is that there is no signal from trigger two at all, the wires have been checked for continuity and triple checked correct pins. Ive done a trigger scope and saw nothing on trigger 2. I was able to get an rpm reading by turning the trigger 2 sync to none. Although it still wouldnt start for more unknown reasons. Mainly first trying to figure out why the ecu wont read my cam sensor? I am yet to try a new sensor although I wouldve thought even if the sensor wasnt working correctly the ecu should still recognise that its there but just is faulty? Im a newb in this area and thought the pnp would be a bit sinpler so tips or ideas to try are appreciated!

I dont even know what a M50NV is, but from a quick google image search of the cam sensor (12141726548) it looks very much like it is a reluctor since it has something that looks like the pole piece poking out the tip.  Whereas the M50TU has a hall effect sensor so wiring and trigger setup in the software will be different, trigger offset may be different also as the M50TU uses a level sync type cam wheel which would not be possible in your engine if it has a reluctor sensor.  There is also a 3rd possibility - the e36's with the siemens ecu had a weird active cam sensor.  So, first step is to confirm what type of sensor you have, Measuring resistance accross pins will possibly give some clues - a reluctotor will usually have a resistance of less than 1500ohm between 2 pins, a hall will be kiloohms or megaohms.

Setting sync mode to none means the ecu wont know if it is on TDC compression stroke or TDC exhaust stroke so will have to guess, that means it will only be sparking on the correct stroke approx 50% of start attempts.   

sorry @Adamw a m50b25nv, nv standing for non vanos so pre the technical update. I should have also added that I had edited the trigger 2 values as to match a reluctor sensor that the non vanos engine uses. The crank sensor is also a reluctor type and have trigger 1 edited to suit that and that seems to be working fine.

17 hours ago, blazenks said:

sorry @Adamw a m50b25nv, nv standing for non vanos so pre the technical update. I should have also added that I had edited the trigger 2 values as to match a reluctor sensor that the non vanos engine uses. The crank sensor is also a reluctor type and have trigger 1 edited to suit that and that seems to be working fine.

Have you modified the Non Vanos loom as well? as the Cam sensor is pinned completely differently to the Hall sensor used on the Vanos loom, and will need to be modified to suit 

Here's a little table from when I was helping another friend with his NV setup on a Pnp ECU

Pin VANOS CAM sensor pinout Non-VANOS CAM sensor pinout
1 +12V Signal
2 Signal Sensor GND
3 Sensor GND Shield

You will also need to repin the TPS as they are pinned completely differently as well 

@Admiral Akhtar I have repinned the nv loom at the ecu plug and just yesterday switched the signal and ground wires on the cam sensor plug. That table helps alot thanks for that! Although from that table it seems like the shield wire should be replaced with a +12v wire? Would you happen to also know which pin on the ecu plug you put that into? Thats also good info on the tps thanks, I did seem to be getting correct signal from the tps but I will be double checking it now.

3 hours ago, blazenks said:

Although from that table it seems like the shield wire should be replaced with a +12v wire?

No, if you are using the non vanos cam sensor then there should nor be 12V connected to it.  

I gave you the pin numbers for the cam sensor wiring in one of your older posts: