Evo 9 Gear Shift setup.

k4nnon

Hey all Linkk G4x PnP user here. I have a couple simple questions regarding gear shift set up in my USDM evo 9. I plan on setting up gear shift control into my car and im going to wire in my clutch switch as a digital input to the ecu. Last time I checked im not sure if i was able to see the clutch switch status switch from active to non active as i pressed the clutch. This may be simple error on my part not looking at the correct status indicator or simply not choosing or configuring this properly. Either way to be sure,, Are the clutch switches already inputs to the link g4x PnP units or are the clutch switches something that need to be wired into inputs? Easy enough to do i just want to be sure they do not already exist before i wire something. 

Also next question, When setting up the gear shift control, As this is working, does the ecu want to see top clutch switch input or bottom clutch input. I assume it wants to see the top clutch switch as the peddle leaves resting position so it can implement the gear shift control as the clutch releases from the flywheel. This makes the most sense to me but i want to make sure it doesnt want to see peddle to the floor and clutch already released before it implements its gear shift function. Please let me know and thanks to all who contribute to this forum, It has been extremely helpful!

The JDM Evo9 has a factory clutch switch connected to DI8, Im not sure if the USDM model does or not.  Set it up to see if you get any status change on DI8 when pushing the clutch.  

Ideally you want the switch to change state as close to the top of the travel as you can  - without it being so close that you can accidentally trip it by resting your foot etc.  

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

The JDM Evo9 has a factory clutch switch connected to DI8, Im not sure if the USDM model does or not.  Set it up to see if you get any status change on DI8 when pushing the clutch.  

Ideally you want the switch to change state as close to the top of the travel as you can  - without it being so close that you can accidentally trip it by resting your foot etc.  

Thanks Adam I will give this a try!

17 hours ago, Tim M said:

I added a G4X PNP into our Evo 5.

Other than the CAN Lambda, AIT sensors - no other wiring was added.

Although, I did not pursue any clutch/gear shift options.  May I ask what is the benefit?

Hey I dont have any experience with this feature in my vehicle as of yet but I have driven other vehicles where this is functional. The benefit would be better, softer full throttle shifting. This feature can allow no lift type shifting and lessen the stress on the driveline when an aggressive shift is applied. This feature can also make the vehicle actually going into gear a lot easier because it will reduce the engine torque at that shift moment so that everything is happy. Its a very useful feature, moreso for the sequential/dogbox trans systems with strain gauges but it does function and add a benefit to normal synchro H pattern transmissions as well..