3S-GTE Gen3 Plug-In - Crank/Cam Sensor Questions

pooh_bear

GT4.  2.2 5S-GTE.  COPs. Caldina crank sensor.  RacerX cam sensor.

Couple of questions please:

Am i better running new screened wire from crank sensor to ECU, or is it OK to splice new screened wire from crank sensor to original loom by cutting off old distributor plug and joining signal wires and screen?

Original cam sensor in distributor was reluctor-type in distributor.  New sensor is Hall effect.  Am i able to change settings on preconfigured input, or is it fixed and i should wire to spare input?  If input can be reconfigured to suit Hall sensor, i guess i can splice signal wire to original loom as above as Hall signal not susceptible to interference as original signal was.

TIA

The trigger inputs can take reluctor or hall signals with just a software setting change.  I would always have at least the signal shielded even with hall sensors.

It would be acceptable to just run a new cable from the distributor to the new crank sensor as proposed,  you can either pass the shield through a pin in the connector, or ground the shield for the new wire at the crank sensor end instead.  

However, if it were me, since you are also going to need to run a new power supply and ground to the crank sensor I would run a new 3 core all the way back to the ecu.  Your most critical engine sensor wiring is then 25years younger and has less connections (failure points) along its path.   It would probably look tidier too. 

Racer X cam sensor (leaks) is Hall, but the Caldina crank sensor is still reluctor.  Have also recently had a customer with some issues with the Racer x cam sync setup (look up Badnews on these forums) and went back to the OEM distributor for cam sync with a billet cover instead of a dist. cap. 

It should be shielded wire all the way to the crank sensor connection to the harness as it will be running over the motor in somewhat close proximity to the #1 coil.  I just remotely fired up a car with this same setup and we had to run the trigger offset at -216 to line up right just FYI, where straight up caldina motors usually are 360deg off of that at 144.