Tach output config

928sg

• 2 months later...

ended up buying a scope and playing around with it.   This was taken from a stock car @ 2K RPM.   Looks to be a 6 volt output.   how do I configure the tach output to get relatively close to this?  I realize I can dial it in after it is running but as I stated above clusters are expensive so I'd rather come in on the low side than the high side.

IMG_0321.jpg

A tacho is a frequency driven device, it doesnt care about voltage, as long as the voltage goes above and below its thresholds to be considered an edge it will work.  An ecu aux output has a 12V pull-up so it will give a 0-12V square wave.  

the 6 volt signal was consistent and the square wave was wider and slower at idle vs 2K shown here.   My concern is overdriving the tach while I'm trying to get it dialed in.  The tach is part of an integrated cluster and new one is 6K USD.  

Does multiplier correlate to voltage or frequency?

Does duty cycle correlate to voltage or frequency?

2 hours ago, 928sg said:

Thanks~!   This was what I was looking for.

Changing the duty cycle wont change the peak voltage though. The ECU will still be putting out 12v when in the "on" state.

Not that it matters because the picture of your scope readout is actually showing a 50% duty cycle 12v signal.
It says down the bottom that it's 5v per division. The waveform spans just over 2 divisions.
And it's "on" for 50% of the time and "off" for 50% of the time = 50% duty cycle.

image.png.026e18aa46fb1154a0d2cc0cda8d2d96.png

The reason why the DC voltage reading is showing 6.27v is because 50% of the time its 12v and 50% of the time its 0v.
Which means the average reading is 6v.