Rover K won't start & no spark on ignition test

beninnz

I've got a Link G4X Storm X that I'm wiring into my LOTUS ELISE S2 with a Rover K series engine. This is my first time wiring in my own ECU but I've had lots of previous DIY automotive wiring experience. I've made an adapter harness that enables me to disconnect the OEM ECU and plug the Link into its place so the rest of the wiring is the original engine/body loom. 

I'm trying to get the car to crank/start but am not having any luck. I've attached the log file, the trigger scope and the base map. 

When I perform the ignition test I can't see a spark but I can hear the coils clicking on/off rapidly. I'm definitely getting fuel - I've done the injector test, plus when I try cranking I can smell fuel. I've tried to test with a spark plug grounded against the block but can't see a spark. I've verified the coils are getting 12V, and have checked continuity back to the ECU.

I'm sure it's something super simple I'm missing! Thanks in advance.

Lotus Elise Rover K no start 2023-07-10 1315 TriggerScopeLog.llgxLotus Elise Rover K no start PC Datalog - 2023-07-10 6;27;28 pm.llgxLotus Elise S2 120HP G4X AUX9.pclx

3 hours ago, beninnz said:

I've verified the coils are getting 12V, and have checked continuity back to the ECU.

Coil negative connected directly to ECU? Smart coil or dumb coil? If dumb coil, you need to have an igniter...

18 minutes ago, essb00 said:

Yep... that's the problem there. You need an igniter between the ECU and the 'dumb' coil.

Well that's an embarrassingly simple mistake I've made!

Now I guess I need to figure out whether I wire in an igniter, or if move to smart individual coil on plugs.. 

6 minutes ago, DerekAE86 said:

How did the Factory ECU do it? Or did you change ignition hardware as well as making the patch harness?

I’m presuming the factory ECU has the igniter built in. I haven’t changed any of the ignition hardware. 

2 hours ago, DerekAE86 said:

How did the Factory ECU do it? Or did you change ignition hardware as well as making the patch harness?

It used to be a fairly common English & European practice to have coil drivers built into the ecu.  BMW and Ford still do it today.  Not such a good idea in the aftermarket world where coil dwell time is often guessed or coil duty cycles need to run high.  

3 hours ago, beninnz said:

Now I guess I need to figure out whether I wire in an igniter, or if move to smart individual coil on plugs.. 

Provided the stock coils are reliable and capable of the power you are looking for then usually just adding an ignitor into the adapter loom is the easiest option.  Bosch 2 channel 0227100200 or Bosch 3 channel 0227100203 are reasonably easy to find for decent cost.  Use Bosch, Beru or Huco, dont get a generic unbranded one.  The need to be mounted on a decent size Ali bracket to sink heat out also.