ECU error high temp error codes IAT and Oil Temp

sr20

Had the ECU for a couple of years, everything has been fine but very recently started seeing the engine management light coming on whilst driving which relates to these codes

Sporadically I see the IAT temp high error and then some days later the oil temp high error, nothing has changed on the ECU, some days of driving though we see no errors at all

We clear the code during the drive and it never comes back on that drive, car running perfectly, then on the next drive we may get one or the other code which we clear and again doesn't come back on that drive

When we look at current temps after the event, everything looks fine and within error high values

Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance

PS can attach recent logs but have never managed to catch the error during a logging session

It could be a Error High or Error Low value set incorrectly on the Analogue Input, which could be that it's actually reaching a high temp (but high enough that it's triggering the fault), or it could be an intermittent wiring issue and an actual problem.

But yeah, a copy of the tune plus logs showing this will definitely aid troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your prompt response and apologies for not replying sooner, I've been trying to capture the errors as they are happening in a live log but haven't been able to reproduce them so attached is a log captured after I started seeing the errors (albeit the errors didn't actually occur during this logging session)

Also attached are some screenshots of the IAT temp and oil temp ECU settings showing the high and low values (captured today - engine wasn't running)

alliat.JPG

alloiltemp.JPG

The calibration for these sensors are actually 5v = cold, 0v = hot.

So when it's giving you a "high" error things are actually very cold because the voltage is above the "high error" point.

Was it colder than usual on the days the check light came on?

To avoid this happening in the future just change the error high voltages to 5v. That way the ECU would have to see a value higher than actually possible unless there was something very wrong (like the 5v line shorted to 12v, or the ECU's internal regulator failing)

On 7/20/2023 at 7:19 AM, DerekAE86 said:

The calibration for these sensors are actually 5v = cold, 0v = hot.

So when it's giving you a "high" error things are actually very cold because the voltage is above the "high error" point.

Was it colder than usual on the days the check light came on?

To avoid this happening in the future just change the error high voltages to 5v. That way the ECU would have to see a value higher than actually possible unless there was something very wrong (like the 5v line shorted to 12v, or the ECU's internal regulator failing)

Thanks for the response, actually just the opposite, the first time we saw this it was an unusually hot month here in the UK, I think it was 33C on the day we got it, and all other times its been a very hot ambient temperature too, that said we have driven it on even hotter days and never got the errors. I guess my concern is If the configuration is wrong that doesn't really explain why we have only just started getting the errors after 2 years of perfect operation 

A high error on two temp sensors occurring at the same time would suggest a bad ground.  Either a loose ground connection to the sensors somewhere or something like a bad engine ground so starter current is passing through ECU ground when cranking etc.   Set up ECU logging to run all the time, recording the raw voltages on the temp pins as well as the bat voltage, temps, fault codes etc, then you will have a log saved in memory that you can download next time it happens.  

On 7/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, Adamw said:

A high error on two temp sensors occurring at the same time would suggest a bad ground.  Either a loose ground connection to the sensors somewhere or something like a bad engine ground so starter current is passing through ECU ground when cranking etc.   Set up ECU logging to run all the time, recording the raw voltages on the temp pins as well as the bat voltage, temps, fault codes etc, then you will have a log saved in memory that you can download next time it happens.  

Ok I finally managed to capture the error, it happened twice today, once on the outbound journey, once on the return so seems to be becoming more prevalent, ambient temperature outside about 21C, log uploaded, let me know if you need anything else!  Thanks!

PC Datalog - 2023-07-23 12;12;15 pm.zip

The oil temp signal is shooting up to 4.96v briefly after it's been heatsoaked at around 75+deg for awhile.

Either the sensor is dying or you've got an intermittent short to 5v on the signal wire of the sensor.

1 hour ago, DerekAE86 said:

The oil temp signal is shooting up to 4.96v briefly after it's been heatsoaked at around 75+deg for awhile.

Either the sensor is dying or you've got an intermittent short to 5v on the signal wire of the sensor.

Thanks sir, yes I see it, screenshot attached, and at 4.96v the oil temp reads zero, so as you mentioned in an earlier thread I think in addition to diagnosis I need to reverse the error high/low values too

antemp3.JPG

I would set up a new blank page in PC Link with a big digital gauge displaying AN Temp 3 raw voltage, sit the laptop somewhere you can see it then go around the loom and bend/wiggle/yank/stretch anything to do with the oil temp wiring - including where there may be ground splices and especially around the sensor connector and terminals etc.  That will usually find if there is a bad connection anywhere.  If that doesnt find anything then I would probably look at swapping the sensor next.