Beginner Tuner needing some guidance - 350z

Booki

Hello!

Have a 2005 350z that I have installed the Link G4X in, loaded the base map but the car was not able to start easily and it did not run correctly.

What are some things I can log to help work out whats going on and how to tune the car correctly?

As far as I am aware there is no mechanical way to adjust base timing on this car so I assume that the base map has it set correctly.

I have a basic understanding on AFR/Ignition tables from tuning subaru's using Rom Raider but there is alot to decipher on the Link :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Just because there is no mechanical way to adjust timing doesn't mean the Link will know exactly where the engine is in it's rotation - the Trigger calibration still  needs to be done.

Have you followed all instructions from the Installation Manual under Pre-Start and First Time Startup?
https://linkecu.com/documentation/N350X.pdf

The PCLink software has an amazing helpfile. If you're in the Configuration tab on the default Layout the helpfile will always be displayed in the top right panel and will explain the function you have currently selected in the left panel. Pressing F1 when you have an option selected will also bring it up.

Almost all questions are answered there and its a godsend for new tuners.

2 hours ago, DerekAE86 said:

Just because there is no mechanical way to adjust timing doesn't mean the Link will know exactly where the engine is in it's rotation - the Trigger calibration still  needs to be done.

Have you followed all instructions from the Installation Manual under Pre-Start and First Time Startup?
https://linkecu.com/documentation/N350X.pdf

The PCLink software has an amazing helpfile. If you're in the Configuration tab on the default Layout the helpfile will always be displayed in the top right panel and will explain the function you have currently selected in the left panel. Pressing F1 when you have an option selected will also bring it up.

Almost all questions are answered there and its a godsend for new tuners.

Legend!

Re the timing - I am assuming you just use a regular timing light to confirm timing based off cylinder 1?

Have run the hose for the map sensor so thats been done

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

Provided you have done what is suggested above, the next step would be to do a log and attach that and a copy of your map here along with some detail about the engine so we have some data to work from.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1LRANeO4A

Thankyou!

Will watch this and go from there.

The car is completely stock at the moment - will have a catback exhaust bolted onto it and thats all for now.

I loaded the basemap again (7 bar variant) and the car will not idle.

It will stay running and run smoothly if i hold the throttle open, I have done a TPS calibrate and a map sensor calibration. THe map sensor calibration wouldn't work unless I used the 7 bar map - using the built in port on the link ecu.

Is this common?

The car is also wired with 2 widebands in the factory o2 sensor spots with a haltec CAN adapter

14 hours ago, Booki said:

I loaded the basemap again (7 bar variant) and the car will not idle.

It will stay running and run smoothly if i hold the throttle open, I have done a TPS calibrate and a map sensor calibration. THe map sensor calibration wouldn't work unless I used the 7 bar map - using the built in port on the link ecu.

Is this common?

The car is also wired with 2 widebands in the factory o2 sensor spots with a haltec CAN adapter

Hey just to add to this, Im not familliar with the vehicle at all but If the car will stay running, and run smoothly if you hold the throttle open slightly then that suggests the engine wants more air to be happy. This could also mean that there is too much fuel at this moment, cause for the engine wanting more air. Is there an idle adjustment you can perform as such with an IAC valve? Or an idle base position you can adjust to add a little more airflow without throttle peddle input? If so give that a try and see how the car idles. Best of luck figuring it out. Also if you can see what your lambda or afr is that will tell you what fueling is doing and then give you direction if you need more or less air or fuel.