Nissan 350z - G4 and PDM build thread

BeallJK

I'll open with that I'd rather keep all my questions / content to a single thread and hopefully this helps people follow along and/or helps solve their problems if they're similar to mine. 

Background: 2003 Nissan 350z running a Link G4+ and completely fed-up with Nissan OEM IPDM - especially the first generation IPDMs where the fuses/relays are rather finicky.  

Goal: Get the car running using the Standalone G4+ and two Razor PDMs and hope to incorporate a keypad for some control and using some of OEM controls.  

Question #1 - the car is running on the G4+ and has been since 2018.  I also have a G4x that I was getting ready to drop into another chassis (a separate infiniti g35) but would it be better to use the G4x with the Razor PDMs? 

Question #2 - Other than High Performance Academy (as I have done all their course work) is there another learning outlet that Link Razor PDM users are subscribed to, to further learn the PDM?    

Question #3 - is Pin 4 Ign Switch equivalent to an OEM 'accessory' stage? or 'on' stage? on an OEM key-barrel setup? 

Is it wise to mimic this configuration?   

My thought is to have a 3 stage latching switch on the key pad where the 1st push is 'accessories', the 2nd push is 'on' and a 3rd push would be off.   Then have an independent button that activates the starter while the button is pressed.   

3 hours ago, BeallJK said:

Question #1 - the car is running on the G4+ and has been since 2018.  I also have a G4x that I was getting ready to drop into another chassis (a separate infiniti g35) but would it be better to use the G4x with the Razor PDMs? 

The main differences off the top of my head:  G4+ will be a bit more manual to setup in terms of the CAN, but not difficult.  G4+ doesnt send PWM aux outputs over CAN - only on/off.  But there are usually workarounds for this - for example if you wanted a variable speed fan you could send coolant temp to the PDM instead and do the speed control logic in the PDM.  G4X can accept a lot more different types of CAN inputs - analog, frequency, digital, temp etc.  G4X has PDM channels built-in so you can for example log currents and voltages of PDM pins in the ecu. 

3 hours ago, BeallJK said:

Question #3 - is Pin 4 Ign Switch equivalent to an OEM 'accessory' stage? or 'on' stage? on an OEM key-barrel setup?

Pin 4 powers the PDM up, the PDM would need to be powered up for the keypad to work so there would usually be a hardware ignition switch or isolator/master switch controlling that pin. 

Thank you Adam - 

Could I gather the brain-power of the group to critique my PDM layout - 

PDM #1

High Power 1 - (Pin 14 AEM 400lph Pump #2) & (Pin 20 AEM 400lph Pump #1)

High Power 2 - (Pin 1 Driver Ignition Coils) & (Pin 8 Passenger Ignition Coils) 

High Power 3 - (Pin 7 open) & (Pin 13 open)  

High Power 4 - (Pin 19 + Pin 26 Starter)

ADIO 1 - (Pin 21 Washer Fluid Pump)

ADIO 2 - (Pin 15 Wipers Low / Wipers High)

ADIO 3 - (Pin 22 Headlights High via relay)

ADIO 4 - (Pin 16 Parking Lights / Reverse Lights / Indicator Lights / Brake Lights) 

ADIO 5 - (Pin 23 Boost Control Solenoid)

ADIO 6 - (Pin 17 Starter Solenoid Signal)

ADIO 7 - (Pin 24 Fuel Injectors & Flex Fuel Sensor +12v supply)

ADIO 8 - (Pin 18 Crank Position Sensor / Cam Position Sensors +12v Power Supply)

Sensor +5v & ground #1 - (Pin #5 Link Coolant/Fuel/Oil Pressure Sensors) & (Pin 6 Ground) 

Sensor +5v & ground #2  - (Pin 11 open) & (Pin 12 Ground)

PDM #2

High Power 1 - (Pin 14 & Pin 20 Davies Craig Water Pump)

High Power 2 - (Pin 1 AEM Dash Sensor/gauges) & (Pin 8 open

High Power 3 - (Pin 7 & Pin 13 Water Methanol Power)

High Power 4 - (Pin 19 ECU Power ECU Circuit) & (Pin 26 ECU Power TB circuit)

ADIO 1 - (Pin 21 Alternator Field)

ADIO 2 - (Pin 15 AEM O2 sensor +12v power)

ADIO 3 - (Pin 22 120watt power inverter)

ADIO 4 - (Pin 16 Headlights Low via relay) 

ADIO 5 - (Pin 23 possibly battery iso switch)

ADIO 6 - (Pin 17 VTC Solenoids)

ADIO 7 - (Pin 24 Main Power)

ADIO 8 - (Pin 18 Cooling Fan Relay)

Sensor +5v & ground #1 - (Pin #5 open) & (Pin 6 Ground) 

Sensor +5v & ground #2  - (Pin 11 open) & (Pin 12 Ground)

Questions:

Am I forgetting anything obvious? And/or anything you’d do different? 

Can high beams & HID low beams run on a 20 to 25amps (via Power Output #4)?

Am I ok powering 6 ignition coils off Power Output 2 (three coils on Pin 1 and three coils on Pin 8)?

I would like to retain the OEM wiper stalk and OEM turn signal stalk to activate wipers / parking lights / turn-signals / hazards / headlights - is this the best way to do it?  (I am researching how nissan / if nissan ran the CAN bus through the stalk)  

• Parking lights (day time running lights) seem pretty straight forward
  • Could headlights be run from a ADIO circuit to active a relay?
  • Is there a way to blink signals/hazards with the PDM?  

All apologize for the newb questions