Cosmo 20b

kevin p

The Storm would be the minimal ecu that could do a 3 rotor with staged injection.  You probably dont need any more than that if it is to remain a basic road car.  The Storm has most common motorsport features, enough IO to run the engine and all its accessories including the OMP (if they have an electronic one?).  I would probably only go to the Xtreme or Fury if I had aspirations to upgrade to DBW in the future for cruise control et. 

It will work in parallel, yes.  You will want someone who is fairly experienced to install it and set it up however as there are always challenges to overcome with piggyback installs.  I dont think it will be anything too complicated due to the age of your car but sometimes the OEM ecu can be quite fussy with what is removed etc.  For example you sometimes need to connect "fake" injectors or generate a fake MAF signal to keep the OEM ecu happy and functioning.  How the torque reduction request comes from the trans will need to be investigated also.  

On 10/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, DerekAE86 said:

Why would you want to? Link ECUs are a full replacement to a factory ECU, not a "piggy back".

Are you familiar with the Cosmo 20B? I've notice that the TCM is separate from the ecu, if tha's the case, I can see your point.

I'm not familiar with it at all.  But cars of this generation are typically pretty basic so it's easy to completely replace the ECU.
If there is any other module or feature that relies on an output from the factory ECU, then as long as that signal is known the Link should be able to simulate it.

I'm not familiar with the 20B Cosmo's, but the RX7 series 6 FD's of similar vintage that are equipped with auto transmissions have at least some integration between the factory engine management ECU and the AT's ECU. According to the FD factory service manual (FSM) electrical schematics, there are approximately 5~6 direct wire connections between the OEM engine & AT ECUs. The purpose of some of these are connections are obvious from the FD schematics - most look to be just pass-thru's for shared sensor connections (e.g., TPS,  perhaps MAP, etc.) that the AT ECU needs to do its thing. I have no clue what all of these connections are for, as I have a manual FD and never really had to deal with an automatic FD. I'd recommend trying to track down a 20B Cosmo factory shop manual/schematic diagrams to help figure out all the electrical integration specifics. Might be difficult to find the FSM in your native language unless that language happens to be Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin, are you a member of the Cosmo page on FB. There is a someone that use to be on there regularly that translated the Japanese JC Cosmo  factory Electrical wiring manual and Workshop manual  to English. I purchased it for my Cosmo. It is a great piece of work. I am not sure if I am allowed to post his contact on here......   reply if you are interested.