MX-5 NB (2000) BP questions

Clubman

Hello,

I have bought a G4+ storm wire-in ECU and I would like to install it on my 2000 Miata NB (1.8 BP). I don't know if it was fitted to a car before. I downloaded PCLink latest version and it does have a map for this car but it is for the G4 Extreme. Can I import it to the G4 Storm? If not how can I create a pcl file from scratch and send it to the ECU?

Thank you

Pete

Hi Pete,

The G4+ ECUs have not been around for long, so if your ECU has been fitted to a car before it will not have had much use.

Yes you can load the 'Mazda MX5 G4+ Xtreme Plug-in' base-map into your G4+ Storm. It will make a good starting point. As your G4+ Storm wire-in ECU can have its inputs and outputs setup in many different ways you will need to check that the way you have your ECU wired matcahes the base-map. For example, the base-map has the MAP sensor on AN Volt 3, so you will need to make sure your MAP sensor signal is coming into the pin for AN Volt 3.

Scott

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your reply. I get what you mean about the wiring, I have already made a harness extension in order to use the stock wiring harness so I will have to make minor changes to the I/O of the base map.

The question is, how will the ECU behave when I load the base map of the XTreme on it? For example the base map has 5 DI but the Storm 4. Will it produce any errors?

Can I power the ECU on the bench to load everything? Should I power it using the +14V and the Shield/Gnd wire?

I also noticed that the Xtreme has the LR wheel abs sensor for calculating speed I guess. How should I connect this to the ECU? I don't want to cut the wires on the ABS sensor, will patching do the job without affecting the ABS?

Many thanks

Pete

Hi again Pete,

DI 5 is used for the park/neutral switch, so you will lose this functionality. Although it comes into the ECU I doubt that it is used, I certainly cant see it being used anywhere in the base-map.

You can power the ECU on the bench and load the base-map in. You will get fault codes happen with this as none of the AN Volt channels will be receiving voltage from sensors. To do this use the Ground (black, pin 34) and +14V (red, pin 5).

I have connected a G4+ Storm up to my engine simulator and loaded the MX5 Xtreme plug-in base-map and received no errors.

DI 3 on our plug-in MX5 (Xtreme based) ECU is labelled as the LR wheel, in reality it is probably just a general speed source, but with our G4+ system you need to specify a wheel so that slip, driven, or non-driven wheels can be specified. If you have a general speed source available to the factory ECU connect this to DI3.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Nice info, thank you. The speed input on the stock ECU is from the speedo assembly and is at 4000ppm. So I will use this one as the speed source. Have you successfully made the tacho work on the MX5?

Not personally. I've done a bit of googling and from what I can read it works like most other tachos (with a pulse), and not over a CAN bus. So long as the pulse is nothing strange our ECU should be able to output a tacho signal to run gauge with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

G4+ installed and running fine. One thing I haven't completely set up correctly is the coolant sensor. I know the sensor resistance in various temps but the question is, do I have to enter these values in the calibration table or use these values in conjunction with a formula to calculate the bias resistor as well? I have used the 1kohm internal option.

Thanks

I would expect the sensor to be very close to one of the existing cals most likely Bosch NTC.

If you do a custom cal you can enter the resistance values directly. ECU takes care of the rest.

Hi Simon, thank you very much.

Initially I used the Bosch NTC but the coolant gauge was showing 1/3 when the fans kicked on (94C on PClink). The gauge has its own bias resistor so is supposed to work independently. I remember that with the stock ECU the gauge was pointing 1/2 when the coolant was above 78C. So from that I can understand that Link has at least 20C difference from reality.

If I use the sensor resistance values should I choose the 1K internal pull up?

Ok then I'll boil the sensor and measure the resistance and put this raw values into Link to see what happens.

I thought the pullup had to do something with this like having to calculate sensor resistance and pull up resistor and add the calculated values to the G4.

Thank you