Communication frequency

Felix Kreysig

Ok, issue got worse. While PC logging is enabled I only get 8 - 7Hz. If I switch to tuning-view, communication frequency goes up to 15Hz, if I open config-view I get around 18Hz. So obviously frequency breaks in as soon as data is transmitted. Baud rate is set to max, FIFO is enabled, tried this on several laptops with XP and Vista, RFI or bad grounding can be excluded, as I get these results even if the engine is not running.

Problem is, I barely can map transient maps with such low frequencies...

It comes down to a combination of PC grunt, graphics card and other hardware/drivers.  We have PCs here which are not supposed to be very powerful that do 32Hz and some that are very powerful that do 20Hz.  Slower laptops can go down to 5Hz.  When logging and redrawing the screen often plus doing the communication it can slow things down.  The less animated the screen layout then the less work it has to do.  We have some plans in place to increase speed but it wont be happening for a little while.  10Hz is OK for tuning and most logging.  Faster is obviously better for getting more samples.  The fastest I have seen is 32Hz as I think that is the limitation on the communication.

Ok, that explains why frequency drops with increasing log time when the Timeplot is displayed live.... more to redraw.... by the way, the frequent log dropouts for more than one second can be stopped by giving the software high priority in the task manager. Btw. is it normal that values are are being logged made if you exit the logging screen and go to tuning? Is there any type of window that HAS to be display to have the PC gather log data?

Ok, I am getting rather satisfying logs with another laptop and all the fancy graphics stuff disabled @ 14Hz. Internal logging works well @ 20Hz too, although I'd be really happy to see an option for manual log channel selection in future updates as I do not need many of the logged parameters while others are missing.

What I meant with the logger stopping is: if I start PC Logging and switch to a screen where no datalog view (either Navigation, Parameter List XY Plot or else) is opened, no logs are being made...