Infiniti g35 (350z) Digital Input #1 - VVT LH off??

BeallJK

Hey guys - I hope everyone is doing well and I was hoping to get a little help on a issue that I believe is causing a no-start

The chassis is a 2003 infiniti g35 coupe (350z) with the VQ35DE engine.  I am transferring the Link g4+ that was in my 350z to this g35coupe.

Essentially will be running the same setup and did a copy/paste/save-as.

This setup was, for a few weeks running an OEM ECU with an old-school haltech redbox before upgrading and the car started, ran, drove fine on that setup.

I cannot get the engine to start / run and I suspect its due to the left side / passenger side VVT (cam shaft position sensor) not sync'ing with the crank shaft position sensor. 

I do get an RPM reading from Trigger 1 (Crank Shaft Position Sensor, IIRC) and both Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 have connectivity (via runtime values menu). 

But I cannot get anything from DI #1 - it just says 'off' 

I also tried using the Link Trigger Scope and I do not think it showed any movement on the sensors.

I did hook-up a hand-help oscilloscope to each of the cam shaft position sensors and the crank shaft position sensors and when cranked(attempted to start) I am seeing voltage on each single pin.

Also, hooked up a basic volt-meter to each signal and I am getting voltage movement while cranking.  

Checked good grounds of each circuit 

Checked good 12v power supply of each circuit

Checked good continuity back to the ECU (pins 13, 14, & 33) 

If anyone has a minute to review my current tune, a datalog taken while cranking, and the attached screen shots - any and all help would be appreciated. 

Link DI 1 Off.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 005621.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 005642.png

g35 Basemap.pclr 2024-02-10.llg

15 hours ago, BeallJK said:

Hey guys - I hope everyone is doing well and I was hoping to get a little help on a issue that I believe is causing a no-start

The chassis is a 2003 infiniti g35 coupe (350z) with the VQ35DE engine.  I am transferring the Link g4+ that was in my 350z to this g35coupe.

Essentially will be running the same setup and did a copy/paste/save-as.

This setup was, for a few weeks running an OEM ECU with an old-school haltech redbox before upgrading and the car started, ran, drove fine on that setup.

I cannot get the engine to start / run and I suspect its due to the left side / passenger side VVT (cam shaft position sensor) not sync'ing with the crank shaft position sensor. 

I do get an RPM reading from Trigger 1 (Crank Shaft Position Sensor, IIRC) and both Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 have connectivity (via runtime values menu). 

But I cannot get anything from DI #1 - it just says 'off' 

I also tried using the Link Trigger Scope and I do not think it showed any movement on the sensors.

I did hook-up a hand-help oscilloscope to each of the cam shaft position sensors and the crank shaft position sensors and when cranked(attempted to start) I am seeing voltage on each single pin.

Also, hooked up a basic volt-meter to each signal and I am getting voltage movement while cranking.  

Checked good grounds of each circuit 

Checked good 12v power supply of each circuit

Checked good continuity back to the ECU (pins 13, 14, & 33) 

If anyone has a minute to review my current tune, a datalog taken while cranking, and the attached screen shots - any and all help would be appreciated. 

Sure thing and thank you for your input and help.  

For what it's worth - when I turn DI 1 OFF - it does flicker between 'Active' and 'Off' 

Looks like I am getting some movement on both logs.  Am I correct, in-that, DI1 and the Trigger 1(Crank Pos Sensor) need to be in-sync before the ECU will give an ignition signal?

Is it safe to assume NATS (nissan antitheft) has zero bearing on the ability to start the car?  I am using the key that has started the car before but my antitheft light is on.  Could this be stopping DI1 from transmitting?

Thank you again -  

Trigger Scope Log 2024-02-11 DI1 OFF.llg Trigger Scope Log 2024-02-11 DI1 set to VVT LH.llg

There doesnt appear to be any trigger issues in your log or scope, what is the reason you believe there is a trigger issue?

I suspect the main issue will the map is really a complete mess, I would suggest you use our 350Z base map to get it started.  

Some of these below wouldnt affect start-up, but just to point out a few of the odd settings:

• The master fuel of 4ms and 50% in the fuel table would need about 2000cc injectors to get enough fuel to start. 
  • Both charge temp approximation and IAT trim are enabled together, it should be one or the other.
  • Only 2% crank enrichment. 100-200% would be more typical.
  • There are fuel and oil pressure limiters set up but no sensors assigned.
  • There is a GP limit set up for lambda, but the sensors arent connected or arent working.
  • There is a GP Limit set up for AN Volt 7, but nothing connected to that input.
  • The MAP sensor calibration is wrong. 
  • The ignition table has 12deg advance all the way up to 2500RPM then jumps to 30+deg.
  • The knock trim tables have random patches of upto 5deg retard in them and these are permanently stored - set to not clear.
  • The throttle is only open 2%, 5-7% would be more typical for cold start.
  • The log shows 90degC coolant temp, but IAT and ECU temp are <20.  How did coolant get hot if it hasnt started?  Or is this sensor not working too?

Thank you for your suggestions Adam - I appreciate your time and efforts -

I will revert back to the link z33 base map and start fresh.  

A handful of things have not been setup or have been turned off.  

Adam - quick follow up - yea, youre 100% correct

I deleted PC Link, re-downloaded, and started from a fresh z33 template and ensured the adjustments you suggested were in-effect and the car started up.

Thank you again for your help -