Do we need an airgap when mounting the G5 ECU

kiwi-racer

Kia Ora, 

An air gap is not required in general. Your key considerations are heat and vibration.

If you have a race car with solid-mounted everything and you know it vibrates more than average, then trying to isolate the ECU from those vibrations is a good idea. You could use something like these with the side mounts M5 rubber mount MM Or these for the top-down mounts M5 Rubber mount MF

If you are mounting in the engine bay to a surface that is often hot, then an air gap is a good idea (and make sure it's getting some airflow). If it's mounted to a surface that is cooler than the ambient engine bay temp (for example, an inner guard that has lots of airflow on the other side), then flush mounting is likely a good idea so the mounting surface can help to keep the ECU cool. If it's mounted in the cabin, then it's unlikely you need to worry much about thermals.

What's it going in? Keen to see photos when you have it mounted.  

21 minutes ago, Arron Eades said:

Kia Ora, 

An air gap is not required in general. Your key considerations are heat and vibration.

If you have a race car with solid-mounted everything and you know it vibrates more than average, then trying to isolate the ECU from those vibrations is a good idea. You could use something like these with the side mounts M5 rubber mount MM Or these for the top-down mounts M5 Rubber mount MF

If you are mounting in the engine bay to a surface that is often hot, then an air gap is a good idea (and make sure it's getting some airflow). If it's mounted to a surface that is cooler than the ambient engine bay temp (for example, an inner guard that has lots of airflow on the other side), then flush mounting is likely a good idea so the mounting surface can help to keep the ECU cool. If it's mounted in the cabin, then it's unlikely you need to worry much about thermals.

What's it going in? Keen to see photos when you have it mounted.  

Hey Arron,  it's going in a E46 BMW race car, LS3 Powered. 

I love those rubber mounts, im in California, I will see if I can source them locally 

I will send some pics once I get it all together, im switching from a E67 GM ECU,  

Cheers