hc20x plug and play setup issues

adam morrison

Hey, im having a few issues with my hc20x plug and play ecu and not sure if its user error or something else so looking for help please

i have converted a r50/53 mini with a k20 engine from uk spec civic type r, when i initially done the conversion the car started on the start up map, i decided to change to dbw and upon doing this i managed to damage the ecu board and the car has never started since. the ecu was sent back to link hq to repair the damage caused by myself and also fix aux9/10 issues that known about these ecus, anyway ecu was fixed, tested and all tests passed 

after searching the forum i managed to get the e throttle to work but not correctly evidentally, tps calibration works and aps calibration works but tps is reading around 30% with engine off and when i try to start the car it fails to start and throws 2 error codes 69-e-throttle max % dc limit and 75- e-throttle 1 tps/target error. i've also noticed when i depress the throttle pedal fully the tps reading will take 1-2 seconds to reach 100% but will drop instantly when i release the throttle pedal

would these faults prevent the car from starting? or do i still have an issue from the board damage that was fixed?

the other thing i need help/advice with is canbus related. im running this ecu along with link mxg strada dash so the mini abs unit is no longer communicating via canbus. its a teves mk60 abs unit which should work in standalone mode but its throwing canbus fault codes and i think this is preventing the abs light ive set up on the mxg strada from working correctly and just stays on 

from what i can figure out the abs unit looks for a can signal from original ecu/dash, in the link ecu can setup there is a mini r50/53 predefined option, if i select this does this transmit a can signal to replicate the mini canbus system or is it just looking for the mini can signal from the car? the dash is also meant to have a mini predifined can file (i cant find it though) again is this just looking for the can signal or does it transmit it?

i understand these may be stupid questions but i need to get the car running to check/finish things off before sending off to be mapped

thanks in advance 

MINI K20.pclx

If you have your MK60 on your LinkECU's Can2, the same as your MXS, its cause its on a 1Mb bitrate and the MK60 goes at 500Kb. Luckly the ECU, MXS, and your can lambda can all be setup to run 500Kb.

Throw up a log to help with your Throttle issue.

9 hours ago, adam morrison said:

tps calibration works and aps calibration works but tps is reading around 30% with engine off

You still have all the idle control settings based on a solenoid type valve.  It is commanding more than 30% idle position but you have the max clamp at 30% so that's where your 30% is coming from.  None of your idle settings are appropriate for DBW, I would suggest copying the basic set-up out of the WRX11 base map as a better starting point. 

9 hours ago, adam morrison said:

throws 2 error codes 69-e-throttle max % dc limit and 75- e-throttle 1 tps/target error. i've also noticed when i depress the throttle pedal fully the tps reading will take 1-2 seconds to reach 100% but will drop instantly when i release the throttle pedal

In your E-throttle settings the min and max clamp are at +/-30%.  -90 & +90% would be more appropriate starting points.

i have changed the idle and dbw issues and appears to be working now thanks, however the car will still not start

every time i crank im getting -  rpm limit activated and injector duty cycle error above high value in the events log 

the injector duty one doesnt always flag up but has only ever happened since ecu was damaged and has never started since, rpm limit one appears on every attempted start up

ok managed to solve the dbw and no start issues (i had a power supply issue), only issue left is to try get the mk60 abs unit to transmit can data to ecu/dash

when you read online some ppl say the abs only needs a 12v wake up signal (i dont think this works) some say itll only transmit can data with an emulator fitted, can anyone help with getting the link ecu and dash to comunicate with the mk60 unit? i have pre-selected the mk60 can protocol on the dash and mini r50/53 in the ecu and still cant get any data out the abs to dash

has anyone worked with the mk60 abs unit before? 

all im really after is setting up a fault light on the dash to let me know the abs has failed, the unit has an output for mil light but just seems constantly grounded regardless if there is a fault or not (meant to go to open circuit when there is a fault and pulls to ground when ok)

so the only options i can use are get can data working and use the mil error stream to trigger the lamp or use the 4 wheel speeds i have into the ecu to trigger a fault warning when one wheel stops reading speed but i cant figure out how to make it work that way so it only triggers a fault when the other wheels are getting a reading and one stops 

for me easiest option would be if can data was being sent from abs unit and i can select that to trigger the dash icon and led warning lamp

any advice greatly appreciated as i know nothing about can bus

In E46 BMW's I have had the MK60 ABS working fine with no CAN at all and wheel speeds work fine using either the mini stream or a custom stream.  So it sounds like you are missing something else.  Does the ABS actually work when you lock a wheel?

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

In E46 BMW's I have had the MK60 ABS working fine with no CAN at all and wheel speeds work fine using either the mini stream or a custom stream.  So it sounds like you are missing something else.  Does the ABS actually work when you lock a wheel?

The car isn’t mapped yet so not driven it. 

the abs is outputting 4 speed signals from the pinned output (not via can) and I have these into the ecu. 

the abs Shoukd also have a mil light output on pin 44 but this doesn’t appear to be working as described on many forums, mine appears to be constantly pulled to ground 

so I either need to get the abs to transmit can messages so I can use the mil output via can or I need to have some kind of math equation to use the 4 speed signals the ecu is getting but this is where I lack the knowledge 

just to be clear on what you’ve said, you have had  mk60 connected to ecus with mini stream selected and the abs was giving the ecu can wheels speeds etc? 

34 minutes ago, adam morrison said:

just to be clear on what you’ve said, you have had  mk60 connected to ecus with mini stream selected and the abs was giving the ecu can wheels speeds etc? 

Yes.  

34 minutes ago, adam morrison said:

the abs Shoukd also have a mil light output on pin 44 but this doesn’t appear to be working as described on many forums, mine appears to be constantly pulled to ground 

That sounds like correct behaviour according to this:

mzgtQoR.png

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

Yes.  

That sounds like correct behaviour according to this:

mzgtQoR.png

Sorry for all the questions, the cars you’ve had the mk60 transmitting can did they have the original dash clocks?  Something either standard clocks or ecu apparently send a wake up signal, as I no longer have either it’s not getting this wake up signal and if I connect link ecu directly to mk60 only I still get no can signals from the mk60

the mil output is supposed to pull to ground when everything is ok (no faults) and goes to open circuit when there is a fault. Or am I completely misunderstanding it which explains why I can’t get it to work 

appreciate your time to help 

23 hours ago, adam morrison said:

Sorry for all the questions, the cars you’ve had the mk60 transmitting can did they have the original dash clocks?  

One was a AC Cobra kit car so the only other pieces related to the MK60 was the G/Yaw sensor.  The other was a E46 race car, most OEM stuff including the dash was gone.  That was 3 or 4 years back so I dont remember if it had a BCM or what else there was left on the factory bus.