CAN Lambda Version

SpAdam

Looking at buying a new-in-box CAN Lambda from a private seller. Is there anything I need to look for in versions/generations, or are they relatively all the same?

Part # CAN LAMBDA

PCB REV V1.2

Serial 47389

Appreciate the input!

The V1.2 would be about 2 years old, the current version is V1.3.  The main difference is 1.3 had some updates to the power supply to give it better immunity to electrical noise.  With V1.2 occasionally if connected to a noisy power supply it could report false errors.  Usually moving to a power source closer to the battery or fitting a capacitor was needed.   

Just realizing I should have put this in the G4X section since I'm on an S2000X. Oops.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Now I just need to decide if it's worth saving $100 or going for a later version. 

When I built my loom I wired the CAN bus to share power with the ecu & PLX wideband controller. Plan is to run the CAN Lambda on CAN2, it will be easy enough to rework the CAN bus wiring while I'm making a few changes to the ecu loom to suit the Link. Is it recommended to power the CAN Lambda directly from the the CAN2 3A power, or would it be better to power the bus from closer to the battery as you describe?

Seems counterintuitive, I'd think having it on the same plane as the ecu would be the most stable.

With the old v1.2, sometimes we couldn't even share the power source to the ecu, sometimes the can lambda work, sometimes it would not. Since the 1.3 we haven't seen that problem, but every car is different so could be just the different stock wiring on the cars not necessarily the can lambda. With the v1.2 we try everything, capacitors, etc. The only thing that actually fix it was a very good power source. Sometimes the one that normally should work... well it did not. 

On 5/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, Adamw said:

The V1.2 would be about 2 years old, the current version is V1.3.  The main difference is 1.3 had some updates to the power supply to give it better immunity to electrical noise.  With V1.2 occasionally if connected to a noisy power supply it could report false errors.  Usually moving to a power source closer to the battery or fitting a capacitor was needed.   

So fitting capacitor on 1.3 is defenitively not needed anymore? We add one on all our installation up until now.