Boost by gears question

Island_Racer

Quick one, on the ST205 Celicas, i want to configure the boost by gears in the boost control setup. Im using closed loop and everything else is configured and working.

I see the table for boost by gears and i understand the concept. But i never noticed anything on my gearbox that gave the ecu gear position information. Am i missing something? Can i just insert the requisite values and be done? or would i need to install sensors that indicate to the link the current gear position?

So long as the ECU knows your vehicle speed, then you can set up the gears in the ECU. There's an automatic process, which I personally haven't found much success with, and a manual process, which I find very simple and quick to do - it just requires a log of you driving for a few seconds in each gear.

All the detais on how to configure this are explained in the Help.

The ST205 should have a good speed signal (Factory hall effect sensor) to the ecu to allow you to set up gear position. 

I agree the manual process works simply and reliably. 

For posterity: Earlier (ST185 and ST165) have cables that mechanically drive the cluster using what I believe to be reed switches in the that sends a speed signal to the ecu.  These usually have a lot of noise with the Link.  The factory cruise control speed sensors, however, are hall effect and can be wired directly to the ecu to provide good speed signals if the car was originally equipped with cruise control.