Tuning

M-performer

Hi every one, 

I want to buy STAND ALONE ECU for m62b44tu engine, 2002 e39 540i bmw 6 speed manual with vortech SUPERCHARGER 10PSI. Can you please advise which one is good for me? My goal is controlling the e-throttle and timing. Want use 2 lsu4.2 or 4.9. Using egt and map. Also i need base map to start.

Can you please advise?

You need at least a extreme ecu,  or something higher, dependant of what extra in/outputs you want to connect. As for the lambda i would go voor 2 link can lamda units, they work exceptionaly well, respond fast and have some failsafe features build in.

On the EGT size, you can use a thermocouple to analog unit, but if you want 8 egt’s this will chew up some analogue inputs. Or you can go for a thermocouple to can unit, wich i would prefer...

I would go for an extreme ecu then.

To use the original coils you’ll need to use ignition drivers, so you need 3 x 3 channel or 2 x 4 channel ignition drivers.

For your egt you need an external device anyway, because only the thunder has onboard thermocouple inputs, but this one has dual lambda onboard aswell, so maybe in your case, a thunder could end up being cheeper the an extreme + 2 can widebands + egt controller.

Fan control is no problem anyhow

Map as load is also no probleem, you just need to buy a map sensor, i think a 3 bar item will suit perfect for you.

Traction and launch control is no problem for the extreme, and higher ecu’s. ;)

12 hours ago, M-performer said:

My goal is controlling the e-throttle and timing.

Our lowest cost ECU that has built in E-throttle controller is the Xtreme.

2 hours ago, M-performer said:

1. Using oem spark coils. Do not want to change oem coils.

Google suggests the coils are 4 wire so I assume they have built in ignitors. You will have to research that yourself.  If they do they can be wired directly to ECU.  If they dont then you will need two 4 channel ignitors to drive them. 

2. Want to use 2 egt.

Our Thunder ECU has 2 EGT inputs built in, any of our other ECU's will need a EGT amplifier - either analog or CAN.  Texsense have some nice analog ones:  https://www.sens4speed.com/en/products/thermocouple-amplifier/thk-1250_46.html

3. I need control radiator fan and water to air intercoole fan.

Any of our ECUs can do this.  One thing Im not sure about is some M62's have an electronic thermostat that could be tricky to control.  We dont have much info on it.

4. Use map instead of maf.

No problem, that is prefered.

5. Traction & launch control

If you want to use the standard ABS speed sensors for traction control then you will need the Thunder.  The digital inputs on our other ECUs are too slow for the high tooth count speed sensors.

41 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Our lowest cost ECU that has built in E-throttle controller is the Xtreme.

Google suggests the coils are 4 wire so I assume they have built in ignitors. You will have to research that yourself.  If they do they can be wired directly to ECU.  If they dont then you will need two 4 channel ignitors to drive them. 

Our Thunder ECU has 2 EGT inputs built in, any of our other ECU's will need a EGT amplifier - either analog or CAN.  Texsense have some nice analog ones:  https://www.sens4speed.com/en/products/thermocouple-amplifier/thk-1250_46.html

Any of our ECUs can do this.  One thing Im not sure about is some M62's have an electronic thermostat that could be tricky to control.  We dont have much info on it.

No problem, that is prefered.

If you want to use the standard ABS speed sensors for traction control then you will need the Thunder.  The digital inputs on our other ECUs are too slow for the high tooth count speed sensors.

There are no ignitors inside the coils, i attached a wiring diagram of the coils. Almost no bmw, unless some of the turbocharged cars after 2008, have build in ignitors ;)

7ADAA239-383D-4811-B00A-9EBA97CD566E.jpeg

The thermostat has indeed a connector on it, wich is used to change the working temp of the engine. When no power supplied to it it opens at 103 degrees, with 12v supplied it opens at 80 degrees. So they send a pwm signal to it wich alters the opening temperature

14C63D8B-9667-4532-991C-3D4B6FA81404.jpeg

The thermostat can be controlled with a PWM table I have done this on M52tu engine, should be the same on this.

For wheelspeed I am 99% sure you can just connect to the Canbus and use the "Mini mode" on the Canbus in Pclink.  Many of the ABS units in BMWs send on the same adress.

Since you want 2 egt and 2 lambda the cheapest and easiest option would be the Thunder in my opinion also.