Map history

Pahooool

Hi, I've recently had a disaster involving my tuner. Car is 3 hours away from me right now and apparently the valve kissed the piston. I have a picture of my timing from before the car left for the tune so I'll know if the belt has jumped, but if they advanced the timing to much to cause this, I'm sure they'd change the settings back later to cover their tracks. I'm trying to keep this as down low until I see the car myself so they don't try to cover anything up, but is their a way to see what changes were made to the map in the past?

Only way to know would be to compare an old map to the current.  There is a compare feature in the software.

What kind of motor is this?  Ignition timing will not cause the valves to touch the piston.  But if its a rather modified motor that has variable valve timing, then yes it is possible to over advance the valve timing to make the valve kiss.

17 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

Only way to know would be to compare an old map to the current.  There is a compare feature in the software.

What kind of motor is this?  Ignition timing will not cause the valves to touch the piston.  But if its a rather modified motor that has variable valve timing, then yes it is possible to over advance the valve timing to make the valve kiss.

If they change it back though you won't see any change in the map, worth having a look though.

At this stage there's no way to know what they did.

A log or even version control system for tuners (and users) is on the wishlist already.

edit: could try downloading the log stored in the ecu.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:03 AM, TechDave said:

If they change it back though you won't see any change in the map, worth having a look though.

At this stage there's no way to know what they did.

A log or even version control system for tuners (and users) is on the wishlist already.

edit: could try downloading the log stored in the ecu.

This is what I'm worried about so I'm trying to just sound like an idiot till I pick the car up and actually see what happened. The only way for a valve to kiss a piston is if the timing jumps or they advance it to much right? This is on an evo 5 with a built 4g64 2.4 engine for the record. I was getting etuned by a respectable tuner but was having issues setting the car up myself but I heard about this shop that has an awd dyno and basically deals with my tuner to set up cars. He'll etune them while they monitor stuff on their dyno and they'll do all the basic setup getting the cars ready for the tunes...it sounded like a perfect solution but now I'm pretty screwed. When I was setting up the car myself with the tuner before there was an issue with the idle so he told me to take a picture of my timing and send it to him and he told me it was right then. So now I'll atleast know if that's any different

There is almost nothing the tuner could have done remotely to make the valves clash on a 4G64/63.  For the valves to hit the pistons it has either an assembly issue (inadequate P2V clearnace), a mechanical failure such as a broken valve spring, slipped cam pulley or belt, or had a massive over-rev causing valve float (Evo's arent prone to this due to the light rocker design).