Issue setting base timing

Bke36

I have a link plugin ecu on my BMW e36 drag car and I'm having an issue setting base ignition timing. With timing locked to 0 degrees I'm still seeing 20 degrees of advance (verified with a timing light). I have played with the trigger angle up and down but timing doesn't seem to move any. It won't move from 20 degrees even when free revving to about 4k rpm.  I also get a fault code that says max advance reached. Has anyone else ran into this issue and if so what was your fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I have had issues with trigger sync on E36 plugin units before. But it was more some weird offset being applied when the ignition sync process is completed.

With that being said, even after you get the ignition timing syncd up, I would strongly advise that you verify that the timing at the motor matches the timing in the computer in normal operational mode.

"Enter" after a change to the ignition offset angle is a must. 

I made sure to hit enter after making the changes but I wasn't aware that I needed to sync triggers. This is my first experience with link so I'm going off the manual and using the f1 function along the way. How would I go about syncing triggers? I don't recall seeing that in the manual. 

18 minutes ago, Bke36 said:

How would I go about syncing triggers? I don't recall seeing that in the manual. 

Sorry, I think it is just Brads wording that is confusing you.  It sounds like you are already doing it correct.  Can you do us a quick triggerscope so we can see if there is another reason that the offset is not working correctly.  Heres a quick video showing how to do it:  https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiYbYlZQuRHPmieMTkwQDCXEb2LY