Custom Can Stream for AIM MXG Dash

kungfuice

I'm new to canbus, and I've been playing around with my new Link G4+ Thunder ECU. I've read some of the other posts and the help section in the PCLink software. Playing around with the Generic Dash template that ships with PC Link I can see everything I'd expect to see. I'd like to send more information though as the default template only sends approximately 36 parameters of the 120 I can receive on the AIM side. I was wondering what the best way to accomplish this would be? Some things I'd like to send over would be that are missing in the Generic Template are:

• Crank Case Pressure
  • Coolant Pressure
  • Turbo speed
  • EGT
  • Boost Trim Pot Position
  • Traction Control Trim Pot Position

At first thought I was thinking I could just define a custom can stream in the PCLink software and build a Custom can template in the AIM software. I did notice there was a CAN FULL  LCC template in the AIM software that had some more parameters, but I don't see any of those on the PCLink side of things. I also considered using the second can stream for sending this data over, but I'd have to wire that in as I don't have that in the harness right now.

What's the best way to handle this?

You can only send out a max of about 50 parameters.  Im working on more configurable templates and a video for both ends at the moment that will make it easier for other users in future, but it is only a spare time thing for me so could be some time off.  If you attach your dash and ecu files I will set it up for you.  Once you have seen my changes you will probably have enough info to make changes yourself.

13 hours ago, barge said:

Has AIM finally fixed the multiplexing issue on these so you don't have to use a bunch of streams with a custom CAN config?

It works fine in the MXS 1.2 Strada's that we sell, I dont have the older MXS to test myself but last time I tried for someone it still didnt work on the older MXS.  I maybe making a big assumption that the MXG 1.2 works.

I can give you a test file for the MXS if you want to test?

Last time I tried it did not but there have been several updates since then.

Unfortunately AIM seems to have rapidly moved on to new products and not fixed existing ones. I've been a bit disappointed in them since "upgrading" from an mxl to mxs.

I can test it when my car is back up from its winter surgery.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, Adamw said:

You can only send out a max of about 50 parameters.  Im working on more configurable templates and a video for both ends at the moment that will make it easier for other users in future, but it is only a spare time thing for me so could be some time off.  If you attach your dash and ecu files I will set it up for you.  Once you have seen my changes you will probably have enough info to make changes yourself.

Hi Adam, any chance you managed to get this video done?

• 4 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 5:08 AM, Adamw said:

Hey Adam,

Following up on this. This was super helpful to get me started and it worked great for us. I want to make some modifications to the CAN definition that you setup on the AIM side of things to match some recent changes we've made. With the config you previously sent, the CAN configuration was just there, I didn't have to import anything and didn't have anything I could edit or modify.

Did you create that CAN configuration in the Custom Can Protocol Editor in the AIM software? If so is it possible to get an export of that protocol definition so that I can make modifications to it to add/remove a few things from the stream you added.

Thanks in advance.