Compatibility of G4X ECUs and RealDash

BADASS Supra

The intent for realdash support with the G4X is via CAN bus as realdash now support a couple of different low cost CAN bus adapters and it will give the user much more ability to customise what they send to the dash compared to the old fixed serial stream.  I wanted to test the system myself and set up some example templates for users before I announced it as the recommended route. However, the recommended CAN adapter that I ordered from China seems to be caught up or lost in all the corona virus delays so I dont know how long it will be before I get a chance to do that.  If you look at the last couple of posts in the realdash thread in the G4+ forum you will see another user there has the CAN bus option working.  You will also find a .xml configuration there from me from the Link Dash2pro preconfigured stream if you want to try it yourself. 

More info on the adapters here:  http://realdash.net/manuals/supported_can_lin_analyzers.php  I was told the Seeedstudio one was prefered, it runs around USD$25.

Sorry to hop on this thread, but i've had an idea and would like to know if it is possible..

So I have a Link G4X JZX100 Plugin Ecu, and i was wondering if it would be possible to stream the live data from my ECU into an andorid based headunit running the RealDash App.

If this is actually possible how would it be done? and would the data be accurate with no latency issues? has this been done before?

Cheers,

I went for this adaptor which is one of the RealDash recommended ones (with AliExpress premium shipping).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000925486786.html

Yep stuff out of China takes forever at the moment. I've had dramas trying to get things and even paying big bucks for fast shipping for stuff since March and nothing.

@AshB long story short is you need to configure your CAN streams on the Link then create an XML for RealDash CAN and use a RealDash CAN supported CAN adaptor.

4 hours ago, AshB said:

Sorry to hop on this thread, but i've had an idea and would like to know if it is possible..

So I have a Link G4X JZX100 Plugin Ecu, and i was wondering if it would be possible to stream the live data from my ECU into an andorid based headunit running the RealDash App.

If this is actually possible how would it be done? and would the data be accurate with no latency issues? has this been done before?

Cheers,

Not all android head units will work as some are very customised and locked down, but most of the cheaper ones should.  You will need one that has a USB host or USB OTG port on the back.  You will need one that allows you to install and run 3rd party apps from the play store.

On 6/5/2020 at 5:01 AM, Adamw said:

Not all android head units will work as some are very customised and locked down, but most of the cheaper ones should.  You will need one that has a USB host or USB OTG port on the back.  You will need one that allows you to install and run 3rd party apps from the play store.

Do you have any recommendations for what I should look for, specific makes/models etc. Don't mind spending a bit more for something that has decent performance and will allow me to do this :)

No I have never touched one.  I beleive most of the brand name ones such as Pioneer, JVC etc are very locked down, dont allow 3rd party apps etc so are not suitable, I suspect most of the cheaper chinese no-name brands would probably work.  But no personal experience to offer.

4 hours ago, AshB said:

Do you have any recommendations for what I should look for, specific makes/models etc. Don't mind spending a bit more for something that has decent performance and will allow me to do this :)

I've used a few different brands of the Chinese ones and Dasaita seem to have actual existent support and updates. I've been happy with my last two Dasaitas. Get one with the PX6 processor.

https://dasaita.aliexpress.com/store/600991

Ok had a quick browse, and thinking something like this xtrons unit here; https://xtrons.co.uk/double-din-android-9-0-tbx709l

Should be able to install realdash onto this either via APK or through play store I believe? How exactly do I connect the link ecu to the headunit do I need some sort of adapter loom from headunit to female USB to link tuning cable? 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't get it to connect. I have the anylizer, the radio is getting signal from can but none of the gauges are moving. Do I need to upload my own dash? I have hooked to the link g4x via can on stream 2 500kbs because my lamda sensor is hooked to the same bus on stream 1 and I'm pretty sure that needs 500kbs. Will that affect it?

On 12/30/2020 at 7:29 AM, Scatrac320 said:

I have my link streaming a generic dash with one of the selectable files in can. Is that right?

For realdash CAN you should be using either "Generic Dash 2" or "Dash2Pro"   Bit rate 1Mb, ID 1000, transmit rate 20Hz.

• 3 years later...

@Adamw Ok, I remove the Link ECU port connection from G4+ out already now, that warning sign has gone. But nothing shows up. Same setting as the photos above. 

When I changed the transmit rate, from 1-10 hz, the light on CAN Analyzer blink according to the changed, seems its it transmit to the Realdash. But I don't know what else I set up wrong on real dash.