Isues lock timing sr20

alexjohn

• 4 months later...

Good day, new to the link scene and did a search came on to this topic.

i just installed my link in my car and done some checks and calibrations when i came down to the triggers i was lost or a bit, after some research i did reset my engine timing to fsm specs was not quite there and adjusted cas with timing light this was done at idel but not sure if it was correct as used the loop on coil harness. i then unable the fuel as per link manual and crank engine with out start and check timing with light and on -100 it was out by 10 deg, adjusted to -88 and was spot on on 15 deg same as the lock figure, this was also done using the loop and only cranking the engine. so is this correct?

Now i notice engine would idel at 1000rpm and if revved up to 3000 it only drops to 2000 and stays there, if i open the trigger calibration window it drops to 1000 or 900, without changing anything if i say done it will stay there but will do the same if revved up again. 

any ideas 

Thanks

It doesn’t sound like a timing problem to me but I still suggest you check it again once running and don’t use the loop, many timing lights fire on the wrong dwell edge if connected to the loop. Use a short plug lead between the coil and spark plug and clamp timing light onto that.

your problem sounds more like either ISC or idle ignition control is not coming out of lockout due the tune being off.

I did connect a plug lead to coil 1 and did find it was out by 10 deg adjusted in the off set timing to get it spot on but is not consistent over the rev range.

should i set it to idle speed or set it with cranking engine only as per manual and try ad get delay set so it stays constant over rpm range.

Ok so update i manage to set it spot on at -87 deg off set when cranking only.

if idle set to -90 but the rpms are higher than normal idle at 1200 rpm.

still not managed to get it to stay consistent over rev range.

i did find unplugging the stock IAC valve idle drops down to 1200 rpm so guessing issue on valve or leak on vacuum, ecu tries to control at 900 rpm but stays at 1200 rpm.

Also manged to get AFR to work thanks to the another topic on this forum.

4 hours ago, Beers13_sr20det said:

Ok so update i manage to set it spot on at -87 deg off set when cranking only.

if idle set to -90 but the rpms are higher than normal idle at 1200 rpm.

It is important to do it at at least idle so the crankshaft speed is stable.  

4 hours ago, Beers13_sr20det said:

still not managed to get it to stay consistent over rev range.

Is it a small amount of drift over the RPM range or is it bouncing around?  The ignition delay setting will only account for a small drift that is linear with RPM.  If you are seeing the timing bouncing around especially at higher RPM then that is probably just typical Nissan CAS scatter and not much you can do about it apart from change to a crank trigger.

18 hours ago, Beers13_sr20det said:

so looked into issue with iac valve and replaced valve with an spare it is not the valve and suspect a leak somewhere on vac lines.

Your idle problem is more likely just the tune.  Typically idle speed control is the last thing you tune after you have the ignition and fuel tuned well.  So forget about that for now.

18 hours ago, Beers13_sr20det said:

the timing retards off the marks of the crank when revved up but it stays constant does not jump around.

Ignition delay should take care of that then by the sounds.