Clio 172 f4r

S172

Clio 172 Hello just wondering if anybody has got a stable idle or the correct engine timing when using the original Renault trigger wheel 60 big tooth missing tooth etc before I bit the bullet and swap a machined flywheel I was hoping just to get a map on the original engine before I fitted a Garret on it I’ve got it running but can’t seem to get anywhere near 10 btdc with my timing light on it I’m currently on a -58 offset I’ve no e throttle faults or engine faults 

Yeah I believe I’ve spoke to you about this before Adam as it’s Scott from mk autos I contacted you through Martin before yeah you did say after a few scopes I’ve sent previously that on the trigger ATH That was to use 0.2 and 0.3 I will do some more scoping later on it just doesn’t seem to like coming below a 1000 rpm 

15 minutes ago, jonnyt80 said:

I'm sure the flywheel needs modified as there were small issues as it's not a 60-2 trigger

http://forums.linkecu.com/topic/9265-renault-trigger-signalpolarity-issue-now-resolved/?tab=comments#comment-61616

No, that guy had his sensor wired backwards and jumped in and modified the flywheel without checking.

Yeah I believe so about the wiring and the trigger it has 1 long tooth then one long gap OEM flywheel I have modified a flywheel ready but my plan was the run it up as near to stock as possible so I can get a good base map on it .and then start modifying tuning it .I can run it at various degrees btdc 20 etc at higher idle speeds but as soon as I try to get near stock 10 btdc and around 800 rpm it’s just gives up my Afr’s are good so yeah getting a bit pieed of lOl and it’s Cained a full tank of v max just messing about with this lol 

If the timing is actually following what you are commanding it do and it is stable when locked then it doesn’t sound like you have a trigger issue at all.  What makes you think there is a trigger issue?  Can you post a log and trigger scope?

Yeah will do Adam I’ll sort a log and scope   Yeah I’m confident in the trigger as like you said obviously it’s runs but I’m was leaning towards maybe a weak spark at low rpm as I’m not to sure if The Renault coil has built in igniters I have a loss of timing light flash but I’m probably going in to deep I probably need to step back and take a minute 

• 2 weeks later...

so it will run perfectly fine without the modified flywheel?

im about to wire up my red Xtreme up to a 182 shortly

On 8/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, Adamw said:

No, that guy had his sensor wired backwards and jumped in and modified the flywheel without checking.

thanks adam

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, Adamw said:

No. I can assure you, that is not what happened.

Actually i read the link helpfile that said the ecu may struggle with the OEM tooth config, so i machined it to a conventional pattern before i even did the ecu install.  Rather than build it, then have to pull the engine again to machine the flywheel.

Then i forgot i had set the trigger pattern to 'Sport Clio' and by sheer chance, it ran as the polarity was inverted.

So now i have  a rock solid idle and a correct polarity with a conventional trigger pattern.

;)

• 6 months later...