Tach reading 600rpms high

Sushpants

Hello,

I have an Atom X g4x running my AE82 with a 4AGE 20v Blacktop swap.

I've been trying to get the stock AE82 tachometer to work with my coil on plugs & ECU. First, I tried using a tach booster which worked great until the rpms were over 6.5k.

I then removed the tach booster and swapped the tach cluster resistor to a 1k connected it directly to the Atom X. The tach works with the output from the Atom X but the reading is off by about 600rpms.

When I power on the car, I noticed the tach needle will read about 600rpms when engine is off and only drop to 0rpms when switched off.

Is there a way to adjust that initial signal or is there something else i should be doing to get the tach to read accurately?

Thanks!

Sushpants

BTW, I'm making an Link ECU install video series for my Corolla FX16 GT-S:

https://youtu.be/3GDTDJv3IC8

https://youtu.be/245fLDX0jaM

2 minutes ago, Sushpants said:

When I power on the car, I noticed the tach needle will read about 600rpms when engine is off and only drop to 0rpms when switched off.

The aux output wont even be outputing a pulse when the engine is not running, so it sounds like the problem may lie elsewhere.  

• 2 weeks later...

It is very usual with Toyota tachs to have off readings after power on (engine still off) whenever the capacitors on the gauge PCB have bloated.
If I remember it right, there should be two 6.8uF 25V capacitors. They're not so easy to find, but they can be substituted with 10uF 25V without any problems.

• 3 months later...

I finally got to the bottom of the issue. The meter movement was the cause of the needle rising when power would be applied to the tach controller. I think in the process of me replacing the signal resistor I bumped meter movement out of calibration. I made a complete video on how to fix it and how to adjust the tachometer range:

https://youtu.be/y2TRMWldaQA

• 1 month later...

I see in you're video that you used aux output 3 for the tach signal? What did you do with the fuel pump signal that was originally there? I've currently got aux 1 and 2 as ISC, aux 3 for the fuel pump and aux 4 for the VVT. 

I've got one of the COP wires spliced at the moment so I'm going to try change the resistor in the tacho but not 100% sure where to move the signal to if that fails.

Thanks 

Hey Dougy,

I ended up moving my the fuel pump to a relay and using that aux output for the tach. You could gain 2 outputs by setting up a wasted spark setup. 

ellisd1984 - The coils do have the feedback pin, but that's another aux input which the ECU is doesn't have many of.

3 hours ago, Sushpants said:

Hey Dougy,

I ended up moving my the fuel pump to a relay and using that aux output for the tach. You could gain 2 outputs by setting up a wasted spark setup. 

ellisd1984 - The coils do have the feedback pin, but that's another aux input which the ECU is doesn't have many of.

no I mean could the feedback pins be tied together and fed directly to the tach?

I'll let you know how I go with the IGF signal idea, I'll try and join all 4 together and tap into the original tacho wire. I've changed the resistor in the tacho and it reads (taped into one cop wire) but it's doing something similar as to what happened to you Sushpants. I would like to keep all 4 cop individual if I can so I will try that way and see what happens. (This is a Suzuki tacho but it's similar setup to the Toyota by the looks of it)

• 1 month later...

Hey Shushpants.

Could not get the IGF idea to work. I've ended up going to waste spark, freeing up 2 aux outputs so I can run a C.E.L and tacho on the 2 outputs. Having trouble with the tacho still. I've changed the resistor from a 46k to a 1k on the board for now to test it. Tacho does not work wired to the aux output alone, however it does work if I add another resistor, anywhere from 1k-56k in the loom on a 12v switched supply and into the tacho feed wire, also works if I simply add a relay instead of that resistor. I also tried plugging the factory ignitor back in and this makes the tacho sweep work fine also?

Currently: ECU aux output spliced into tacho wire--no go

ECU aux output spliced into tacho wire + relay pin 86 + 12v switched to 85 pin--works. Or instead of a relay just plug the factory ignitor back in works also