PDM Unit advice

tbase

Hi, I'm looking to buy PDM to set up with LINK Fury as I see AIM which is LINK's partner just release PDM32 and PDM08 on the market. My dash now is MXS Strada 1.0. Just wondering a few question. 

1) From what I see on AIM website, to use with MXS Strada 1.0, need to buy unit called EPM (same I/O as PDM08), I see I/O are very limited which I'm not sure will to cover everything I need for the whole race car.

2) If not enough I/O. I might consider to buy other brands as I think AIM's PDM32 with Dash set are too expensive compare to XAP or MAXXECU which has more channels. Any recommendations for other brands which work well with LINK?

Thanks 

8 hours ago, tbase said:

1) From what I see on AIM website, to use with MXS Strada 1.0, need to buy unit called EPM (same I/O as PDM08), I see I/O are very limited which I'm not sure will to cover everything I need for the whole race car.

Yeah, I think 8 channels is a bit tight. I have done a couple basic race cars with 12 channels but you need to plan very carefully to get by with that few and it means if you want to add something in future it becomes a ball ache. 

8 hours ago, tbase said:

2) If not enough I/O. I might consider to buy other brands as I think AIM's PDM32 with Dash set are too expensive compare to XAP or MAXXECU which has more channels. 

The AIM 32 channel looks like good value if you dont have a dash but since you already have the dash it is less attractive.  I would avoid the XAP, I havent specifically used their PDM, but I work on a car with one of their dashes and paddle shift systems and the software is so buggy and non intuitive you will want to give up before you start, reliability hasnt been good on either of these devices either.  I havent used a Maxx yet.  Right now I think the ECUMaster pdu16 is probably the best combination of capability and IO for the price (Be aware you do need to buy the extra USB CAN adapter though).  Also take a look at the Aussie Moristech blackboxes too, I have used the P12 and P30 (P12 doesnt have CAN), they are very good for the money - cant do PWM etc like ECU master but still quite capable.  They have just released a new model P14 which looks a bit more advanced and can do PWM on two channels etc.   The P12 is about USD$700 and the P14 is ~USD$900

9 hours ago, tbase said:

Any recommendations for other brands which work well with LINK?

I havent had any drama communicating with any of them yet since the Link CAN is so flexible.

5 hours ago, Ducie54 said:

I spoke to the guys at AIM last week and there in the process of releasing the PDM32 without the display bits in it. The more that ask for it the sooner it will be released.

Ive put my name down for it. 

Dope, then I will wait for AIM as I get use to their RS3 software. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I bought the PDM32 package with their LECCI's Can bus keypad. So I hook up LINK fury with PDM, everything seems fine but I have no clue how to set up this CAN BUS Key pad. On RS3 software doesnt have any menu to set up same as other brands and I have no clue about how to write CAN protocol as well.

Any suggestions?

Yeah I agree, I dont see any options for keypad functionality in the beta RS3 I have.  You will have to query your AIM dealer.  I could possibly help you make some very basic keypad functionality work with custom CAN but it will be a bit of a ball-ache.  

• 1 month later...

you can use any of the AIM dashes with the PDM32, they just connect over CAN like normal. You can buy the PDM32 independent of either of the pdm-specific clusters or the GPS module.  I opted for the 10" display with mine as it's way better than my old MXS strada

• 1 month later...

Avoid the smartwire like the plague, they are absolute garbage.  Very little configuration or customisation in the software and unreliable hardware.  Couldnt even park window wipers last time I used one and that one has since been returned to USA for warranty repairs twice.  Also they need the expensive Vnet adapters if you want to connect anything to it via CAN.  For example an extra USD$400 if you want to connect the ECU CAN etc...

Most PDM's can use any keypad.  The two common ones are the Grayhill, (square buttons) or Blink (round buttons).  I think Racepak sell the Grayhill one - so is this what you like?  Have you asked AIM if they support the Grayhill keypad?  I prefer the Blink one due to the nicer feel so you can feel when you have actually turned soemething on with gloves on etc.  

If you need 30 channels then take a look at the moristech P30 - not a lot of info around on them, poor website etc, but they have been around for years and are a solid performer for the cost.  It can take the Grayhill keypad.

If you can get away with 16 channels then then the ECUmaster one is also good.  It can also use the Grayhill keypad.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that. The Blink ones look really nice, I have emailed AiM. It is mainly the fact that the button inserts are close to $10 each.

Regards,

James Harriman

p.s. My father (Geoff Harriman) keeps meaning to contact you as well regarding his Ralt RT20. I will hassle him when i see him again tonight.